Subject: Re: about downloading FPGAs
From: telkamp@eis.cs.tu-bs.de (Gerrit Telkamp)
Date: 14 Nov 1994 18:17:52 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
eric@telebit.com (Eric Smith) writes:
>I've been thinking about trying to use Xilinx part with a parallel EPROM,
>and having it hold my CPU in reset until it is configured.  The configuration
>loaded into the Xilinx would be designed to let the CPU access the EPROM for
>its code.  The code (and reset vector) obviously have to be in a part of the
>EPROM not used by the Xilinx configuration.  This would let me make my board
>completely soft-configurable, particularly if I use EEPROM or Flash instead of
>EPROM.
>
>Has anyone tried this sort of thing?
>
>Eric

Here, at the Departement of Integrated Circuits at the Technical University in
Braunschweig, a complete 32-bit-RISC-processor has been developed with a
5-stage-pipeline, 32 registers, interrupts, branch-target- and multi-purpose-
cache etc. The design has been fabricated as a gate-array by LSI Logic
afterwards. My part was to design a small and simple testboard for the RISC.
The result was very similar to your idea: The circuit was built with only one
FPGA Xilinx 3042-70, 4 32kx8 SRAM, one 64kx8 EPROM, some glue logic realized
as a state-machine in one GAL 16V8 and two decoders (16V8 and 20V8), and a
well-known TL7705-reset-generator.

After reset, the state-machine holds the RISC-processor in reset-state; the
outputs are tri-stated. The FPGA is reconfigured in master parallel high mode,
the data comes from the EPROM. These 8 data bits are the configuration-data
bits d[7..0] from the FPGA and the data bits d[31..24] from the RISC.
After configurating, the 32-bit-RISC-processor can access the 8-bit-EPROM
32-bit-wide: in the first three cycles, the data is read from the EPROM and
copied to the FPGA-outputs connected with d[23..0]; and in the fourth cycle
the data goes directly to the RISC's d[31..24]. So the RISC can copy the
complete data from the EPROM to the SRAM. After copying, the application
is executed in the SRAM, which is much faster an can be accessed 32 bits wide.
The FPGA is now useless and can be reconfigured by the RISC in slave-serial as a
universal peripheral-controller, i.e. parallel-to-serial-converter or a
LCD-interface.

I use also the feature to configure the FPGA by a download-cable. So I can
monitor the data- and address-bus and transfer it serially to a PC with
a special configuration file.
If there is any need, a hardware-breakpoint-comparator can be implemented into
the FPGA as well.

For microprocessor-prototyping, I made the best experiences by using a FPGA.
I can change and improve the hardware without changing the layout.

Gerrit.
telkamp@eis.cs.tu-bs.de

Article: 426