Subject: Re: Reconfigurable Computing Languages
From: vcc <vcc@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 05:14:46 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Dave Galloway wrote:

> I said:
>     >I've written a HDL compiler for a subset of C called Transmogrifier C
>     >(tmcc for short).  The tmcc compiler lets you specify the length of each
>     >integer variable by using a C pragma statement.  You can specify a 13 bit
>     >addition this way:
>
>     >#pragma intbits 13
>     >   int a, b, c;
>     >
>     >   c = a + b;
>     >
>     >Another, somewhat better way of doing it would have been to define new
>     >integer types:
>     >
>     >   int13 a, b, c;
>
> Steve Casselman said:
>     Wouldn't it be better just to say bit a[13], b[13], c[13]; Then
>     I could write c[5] = a[2] & b[3] ;
>
> I think it depends on what you want to use Transmogrifier C for.  If you
> want to do a 13 bit addition, then having a 13 bit integer is clearer.
> If you want to do a lot of twiddling of individual bits, then having a
> bit vector type would be useful.
>
> In reconfigurable computing, I suspect that 13 bit adds are more common,
> and that individual bit twiddling is less common.  I want to stick with
> standard C as much as possible, and I don't want to add features unless
> they are really going to help.  The whole argument behind using a C-based
> language is the large base of C programmers and C programs, and anything
> that takes us away from that has to be well justified.  If you change the
> language too much, you might as well use Verilog or VHDL.
>
> Tmcc web page: http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/EECG/RESEARCH/tmcc/tmcc

First I want to say tmcc is good work (as is Brads and Hermans) so...
In tmcc you have introduced N new types, int1 through intN. I'm just suggesting
one new type bit, (ok two, bit and unsigned bit:) This seems, to me at least,
to be a natural extention to short, int, and long.

Steve Casselman

Article: 2951