Subject: Re: 22V10 Metastability - help please
From: rk <stellare@NOSPAMerols.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 16:51:01 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Magnus Homann wrote:

> rk <stellare@NOSPAMerols.com> writes:
> > Peter wrote:
> >
> >      < snip bunch of stuff on PAL internals >
> >
> > > Without withing to make this thread even longer, and despite what has
> > > been said here, I cannot see the problem in *sampling* a *single*
> > > async input, with a *Gray-code* state machine. In such a state
> > > machine, only *one* D-type at any one time can potentially act on that
> > > input, so either a) the input change is just sampled (and you go to
> > > the next state) or b) the input change is just missed (and you remain
> > > in the present state).
> >
> > i agree, 100%, there is no problem, that's why the gray code is popular.
>
> I disagree. In fact, here's an example.
>
> Consider a SM where from state "00" you go to "01" on IN = '1' or to
> "10" on IN = '0'. If the signals change within, say, x ps skew,
> there's still a chance to get to state "11". I don't think you can
> design a PAL to reliably handle this situation. Non-glitching LUTs
> wont help you either.

> It's a bit forced example, but not entirely unlikely to happen.

i think there is a bit, well, over-forced. :-)

let us assume that IN=0 and that Q=00.  then the combinational logic will be
outputting 10, ready to be clocked in on the next rising edge of the clock.
now if you change IN to be a 1, at an inconvenient time, like when the clock
is transitioning, then according to your logic description two outputs of the
combinational logic will be changing, from 10 to 01, which can cause an
error.  of course, if a single input causes two bits of the output to change,
it's not a gray code.

by the definitions of a gray code that i have read, only a single output may
change at a time.  these are safe to sample asynchronously assuming that after
sampling the flip-flop outputs are allowed to settle to avoid metastability
problems before being used in the next stage of logic.  further, at most one
of the flip-flops doing the same can go metastable, since by definition of a
gray code, all the other bits are constant.

> Homann

thanks,

have a nice evening,

rk