Subject: Re: The case for free operating systems and EDA
From: "rk" <stellare@erols.com.NOSPAM>
Date: 6 Mar 1998 00:33:44 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
peter:
: :There are lots of stupid things in NT but none of them make it in any
: ;way unsuitable for EDA.

wen:
: Oh yes.  For one, it prevents me from using the tools if I am not sitting
: in front of of the machine.

rk:
solution: sit in front of the machine.

i think nt (and probably linux) is winner here over unix since with nt, you
can simply fold up the machine, put it in your backpack, hop on the plane,
wait for the announcement that you can pull out your 'puter, and get back
to work.  i travel a modest amount on business, 6-8 times per year, and i
do some personal travelling.  i see a lot of pc's with windows and mac's
being used everywhere.  never saw anybody doing unix on the plane.  and i
frequently pack up a pc, stick it in a box, get to where i'm going, take it
out, turn it on, don't miss a beat.  NOT being tied to the network makes it
the portable computer and i don't lose any of the environment i'm used to.
can you do this with unix box?  can't with the way ours are setup but not a
unix guru, just a key tapper.

also, what about the remote tools for the pc?  they're not very expensive
although i don't have any first-hand experience with them.  perhaps someone
else can comment on their performance.

then again, tools for pc are cheap.  got a set for home pc.  don't gotta go
to work.  and can upload/download files no prob over the internet.  hooking
up drag and drop from home pc to work
pc now, it'll be even easier to communicate.

rk

"there's nothing like real data to screw up a great theory"
- me (modified from original, slightly more colorful version)