Subject: Kayvon! (was UART for FPGA)
From: todd
Date: 18 Sep 1995 14:22:56 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Kayvon,

Thanks for the reply on the UART, but my mailtool
ate your letter before I could reply.  I would like
the pointer you had.  Thanks.

Todd
a0460010@shsun3.dseg.ti.com

Article: 1901
Subject: Re: Is there a reprogramable XC17256D available?
From: djg@tas.com (David Gesswein)
Date: 18 Sep 1995 10:35:53 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <43js68$o01@merlion.singnet.com.sg>,  <jothi@singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>> Does anyone make an EEPROM version of the Xilinx XC17256D configuration PROM?
>>
>> TIA - Alan
>>
>Yes ATMEL makes these parts.
>
>they are 17C128 and 17C256

We tried the 128 but it is still pre-production and has several bugs in it
which prevent using it with the XC52xx and possibly all Xilinx chips.

We also have used the AT&T reprogramable which did work but does not
reliably load.  I think it is power ramp up sensitive, on one chases it
almost always loaded and in another it never would load.  The Xilinx EPROM
part always loaded.  I don't think they have a 256 out yet either.

David Gesswein

Article: 1902
Subject: Help needed-how to instantiate Xbloc component with synopsys
From: daveau@verdon ()
Date: 18 Sep 1995 15:31:30 GMT
I have a question about XC4000 FPGA synthesis using synopsys.
I want to instanciate manually some Xbloc component, how can i do it ?
I currently instantiate some designware component so i have added to
my VHDL code

library IEEE, DWARE, DW03, GTECH;
   use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all;
   use DW03.DW03_components.all;
   use DWARE.DWpackages.all;
   use GTECH.GTECH_components.all;

An i can instantiate some component manually

cpt_i_I : DW03_lfsr_scnto
GENERIC MAP(	width => 3, count_to => 3)
PORT MAP(	data => n_data_i0,
		load => n_notld_i,
		cen => n_ce_i,
		clk => clk_4,
		reset => reset,
		count => n_count_i,
		tercnt => n_tc_i);

How can i do that for Xbloc component ?
I couldn't find any data in the designware data books such as name of
the component and ports.

Thank in advance for any help,
(i am sorry if my name doesn't appears in the name column, it never does.)

Jean Marc Daveau,
Ph.D student, TIMA lab, Grenoble, FRANCE
Email:daveau@verdon.imag.fr

Article: 1903
Subject: Re: Fast FPGA's?
From: leow@uclink.berkeley.edu (Ka-Chung Wong)
Date: 18 Sep 1995 22:34:51 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

>>In article <DEvyE5.64L@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>, mjm@hpqtdzk.sqf.hp.com (Murdo
>>McKissock) writes:
>>> Ola Torudbakken (otoe@si.sintef.no) wrote:
>>>
>>> : I need some recommendation of FPGA's which may achieve a system speed
>>> : of 40MHz. I'm not interested in hearing about FPGA products which can

Altera's FLEX family has comparable density anmuch faster speed than Xilinx
4000 devices.  I looked through the PREP web page and found that the
EPF81500A-2 has almost twice the speed ( in average ) than a 4013.

I personally developed a PCI master card using EPF81188A-2 and got a 38MHz
performance on first try.  Maybe thats something that you might find
helpful

Article: 1904
Subject: Altera and Synopsys Interface
From: xiang@hera.med.utoronto.ca (Yuefang Xiang)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 03:49:55 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I run into a problem when designing an Altera flex8452-3 with VHDL.  After
coding VHDL, I read it in Synopsys and sythesized it.  I was pointing to
flex8000.db and flex8000.sldb.  I then do "report_timing" in synopsys.
The problem is that some of the cells (namely, TBL_4, TBL_3, TBL_9) have
extradinarily large delays - 11.22ns in my case.  These cells are simply
the equivalents of AO2, AO3, AN2, AN3 in ASIC libraries.  I would image
them to be runing at 1-2ns even with some extrinsic loadings.

I called up Synopsys to ask them check flex8000.lib, which is what flex800.db
compiled from.  They told me that even an AND gate in flex8000.db has a 6ns
intrinsic delay (without any loading).  Altera told me to use
maxplus2 to place & route it then report timing from maxplus2's static
timing analyzer.  With TBL_4, TBL_3, TBL_9 having 11.22ns, my design failed
in Synopsys, but magically, it works after maxplus2 place&routed it.
Altera said it will come back with an answer as why the timings in
flex8k.db are so large after several days .

The only thing that I will image is that when designing Altera, we cannot
use Synopsys as an optimzer (or cannot rely on it), but simply use it as
a translator to translate VHDL to netlists.

I was wondering if anyone else run into the same problem.  Your comments will
be much appreciated.

Regards,

Louis

From: jothi@singnet.com.sg
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 95 21:11:37 PDT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> Does anyone make an EEPROM version of the Xilinx XC17256D configuration PROM?
>
> TIA - Alan

Yes ATMEL makes these parts.

they are 17C128 and 17C256

Baskaran K

Article: 1906
Subject: FAQ?
From: Doris Cheng <chengdmw@iprolink.co.nz>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 06:06:46 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Just wondering is there any FAQ in this newsgroup?
Thanks!
Cheng

Article: 1907
From: Yuce Beser <yuce@sh.bel.alcatel.be>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 08:15:41 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
There is a program called "xbloxgen" from Xilinx which is used to instantiate
xblox modules in the vhdl/verilog code. You input which xblox module you want
to instantiate in your code, and it generates the xnf file and the vhdl/verilog
code (component definition, and instantiation lines) for that xblox module. You
can use this tool to instantiate the xblox modules: clk_div, shift, inc_dec,
accum, add_sub, compare, counter, decode, data_reg.

If you don't have that tool, then you have to write the code and the xnf file
for the xblox module yourself. Writing the code is easy, as all you have to do
is, using the same input/output port names of the xblox module in the component
decleration, and then instantiating the component. But, the second step ie.
writing the xnf file for the xblox module is tricky, you need to be familiar
with xnf file format, and xnf files generated for xblox modules. It is possible
to write the xnf file for the xblox module yourself, however it is not part of
a design flow that Xilinx suggests, and I am sure it won't be a recommended
step by Xilinx.

Good Luck,

Yuce Beser
"speaking for myself"

Article: 1908
Subject: Will Protel EDIF output work as input to Neocad?
From: "John B. McCluskey" <jbm>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 11:36:00 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I'm thinking about buying the protel schematic capture package for windos at
their "blow it out the door" price of $295.   What I want to do is create a
symbol library for AT&T ORCA parts so I can do some FPGA schematics and feed
the resulting EDIF netlist to the ORCA Foundry place & route tool.  Before I
embark upon this venture, I've got to ask the obligatory question:

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE?

I know it generates XNF files very nicely, but EDIF is my target netlist
format.
Anyone know if Protel supports EDIF attributes (properties) attached to nets
and symbols?

Thanks and all that stuff,

John McCluskey
J.McCluskey@ieee.org

P.S.  Soon as I get it ready, I'll post a VHDL design for an ORCA based
DDS (Direct Digital Synthesis) circuit.  32 bit phase accumulator, 100 MHz
system clock, supports DAC's of 1 to 16 bits.  Theoretical spurs are -65 dBc.
Anybody interested?

Article: 1909
Subject: Re: Why does MAX5000 is getting hot?
From: ianb@epid.eurotherm.co.uk (Ian Baines)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 12:29:32 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
twtmail@twt.co.il wrote:

>I'm using an EPM5016 in a small project.
>I'm using 4 i/o pins for 2 NOT gates osc.

>The component is getting very very hot (after about 5 min.)

>Does anybody knows why?

Sounds like latchup (due to floating input pins) to me.

Ian Baines                                  Eurotherm PID R&D
work ianb@epid.eurotherm.co.uk              Southdownview Way
home ianb@mistral.co.uk                     Worthing,
Tel +44(0)1903-205277 Fax +44(0)1903-524016 BN14 8NN,  UK

Article: 1910
Subject: Re: ECL fpga
From: ken@watson.ibm.com (Ken Goldman)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 13:04:29 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
methot@ccrs.emr.ca (Simon Méthot) writes:
> I am presently starting a project using emitter coupled logic (ECL).
> Does anyone know of a manufacturer of ECL fpga.  The data rate that must
> be achieved is 150 mbits/sec, and the input voltage is ECL.  One of the
> task is to be built a P-N sequence decoder.  Thanks.

I've never seen one.  Cypress, National, and possibly Phillips
have ECL PAL's with density on the order of a 20V8.

Let us know if you find anything better.

Article: 1911
Subject: Re: Altera and Synopsys Interface
From: qzhang@bnr.ca (Qian Zhang)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 14:10:37 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <DF4vz7.4qz@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
Yuefang Xiang <xiang@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>I run into a problem when designing an Altera flex8452-3 with VHDL.  After
>coding VHDL, I read it in Synopsys and sythesized it.  I was pointing to
>flex8000.db and flex8000.sldb.  I then do "report_timing" in synopsys.
>The problem is that some of the cells (namely, TBL_4, TBL_3, TBL_9) have
>extradinarily large delays - 11.22ns in my case.  These cells are simply
>the equivalents of AO2, AO3, AN2, AN3 in ASIC libraries.  I would image
>them to be runing at 1-2ns even with some extrinsic loadings.
>
>I called up Synopsys to ask them check flex8000.lib, which is what flex800.db
>compiled from.  They told me that even an AND gate in flex8000.db has a 6ns
>intrinsic delay (without any loading).  Altera told me to use
>maxplus2 to place & route it then report timing from maxplus2's static
>timing analyzer.  With TBL_4, TBL_3, TBL_9 having 11.22ns, my design failed
>in Synopsys, but magically, it works after maxplus2 place&routed it.
>Altera said it will come back with an answer as why the timings in
>flex8k.db are so large after several days .
>
>The only thing that I will image is that when designing Altera, we cannot
>use Synopsys as an optimzer (or cannot rely on it), but simply use it as
>a translator to translate VHDL to netlists.

>From two Flex8K design I did two months ago using VHDL and Synopsys,
I'd say you are right. Synopsys timing reports are useless for Altera8K.
The reason is that Synopsys synthesizes downto gates. It simply assigns
gates with 6ns delay, and sum them up along the path. Altera may group
gates together in the implementation and fit them into one LE,
thus significantly reduce the path delay reported by Synopsys.

I had slack time in the range of -30 ns, but the design worked after
fitting.

Synopsys can still be used as an optimizer to do some common sense
optimization.

I read that for Xilinx parts, Synopsys maps logic to CLBs, and the
timing reports are more accurate.

Cheers,

--------------------- My opinion only ------------------------------------------
Qian Zhang            Bell-Northern Research, Ltd        Ph.: (613) 765-2485
H/W System Modelling  P.O. Box 3511, Station C           Fax: (613) 763-4222
                      Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7   Email : qzhang@bnr.ca

From: "Steven K. Knapp" <stevek>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 15:36:55 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
leow@uclink.berkeley.edu (Ka-Chung Wong) wrote:

>Altera's FLEX family has comparable density anmuch faster speed than Xilinx
>4000 devices.  I looked through the PREP web page and found that the
>EPF81500A-2 has almost twice the speed ( in average ) than a 4013.
>
>I personally developed a PCI master card using EPF81188A-2 and got a 38MHz
>performance on first try.  Maybe thats something that you might find
>helpful

Just a quick note:  The PREP data base does not include any certified Xilinx
data on FPGAs.  Be careful on the data quoted by other companies.  They are
probably using XC4000-5 timing info.  There have been two significant speed
grades since that data was reported (a -4 speed grade and a -3).

If you want the latest information, see the "XC4000E Data Sheet" available on
the Web at http://www.xilinx.com/products/fpgaspec.htm#XC4000 .

Also, if you are interested in maximum performance, you should also look at the
XC3100A FPGA family.  Again, the most up-to-date information is available at
http://www.xilinx.com/products/fpgaspec.htm#XC3000 .

-- Steve Knapp
   Corporate Applications Manager
   Xilinx, Inc.

Article: 1913
Subject: present status of Field Programmable MCMs?
From: Mohammed Khalid <khalid@eecg.toronto.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 15:52:40 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Recent research has shown that multi-FPGA systems implemented using
MCMs provide better logic density and speed performance compared to
board level implementations. Altera has a commercially available product,
EPF8050, that uses four EPF1188s and one Aptix FPIC housed in an MCM.

On the other hand, most Logic emulators and custom computing machines
built to date use multiple FPGAs with or without FPICs, implemented
using printed circuit boards.

My question is: are Field Programmable MCMs commercially viable yet?
What are their limitations? Heat dissipation problem? Is the cost
prohibitively high?

Any insights on this issue will be greatly appreciated. I am especially
keen on hearing from people involved in designing next generation
Logic emulators and custom computing machines. If there's a good response
I will summarize the comments I receive and post them.

Thanks.

Khalid

Article: 1914
From: Rolf Blom <euargb>
Date: 19 Sep 1995 16:14:33 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
methot@ccrs.emr.ca (Simon M=E9thot) wrote:
>I am presently starting a project using emitter coupled logic (ECL).
>Does anyone know of a manufacturer of ECL fpga.  The data rate that must
>be achieved is 150 mbits/sec, and the input voltage is ECL.  One of the
>task is to be built a P-N sequence decoder.  Thanks.

Philips have a small (8 regs) ECL PAL device 10H20EV8/10020EV8. (~200MHz fmax)

For anything larger, use external ECL/TTL translators & serial/parallel
 conversion to take down the speed to something agreeable with
 whatever fpga you want.

/Rolf

Article: 1915
Subject: Re: Fast FPGA's? (No XILINX PREP data)
From: djg@tas.com (David Gesswein)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 14:26:51 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <43mo2n$adj@mailman.xilinx>, Steven K. Knapp <stevek> wrote:
>Just a quick note:  The PREP data base does not include any certified Xilinx
>data on FPGAs.  Be careful on the data quoted by other companies.  They are
>probably using XC4000-5 timing info.  There have been two significant speed
>grades since that data was reported (a -4 speed grade and a -3).

Any plans for prep results so we have a chance of comparing parts?

Thanks,
David Gesswein

Article: 1916
From: michaelk@macs.ee.mcgill.ca (Michael C. Kim)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 20:46:22 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In Article <43d28f$ij8@paperboy.ids.net>, randraka@ids.net wrote:

lines deleted

>The trick is to pay attention to the device architecture when you do the
>design.  Keep the combinatorial logic to one level whenever at all possible
>(yes this is possible more than is obvious...pipeline your decodes and state
>machines).  Use OHE statemachines, and LFSR counters for timers.  Without doing
                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Could someone refer me to some references or sites where I can get info
on what LFSR counters are?  I'm building a system using the Xilinx 4000
series that requires fast FSM's and this would help a lot.  Also, would
there be any sites that contain VHDL code for these counters?  Thanks
in advance.

Michael

Article: 1917
From: peter@xilinx.com (Peter Alfke)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 21:42:55 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <43n21b$cuf@moe.tas.drs.com>, djg@tas.com (David Gesswein) wrote:

> In article <43mo2n$adj@mailman.xilinx>, Steven K. Knapp <stevek> wrote:
> >Just a quick note:  The PREP data base does not include any certified Xilinx
> >data on FPGAs.  Be careful on the data quoted by other companies....
> >
> Any plans for prep results so we have a chance of comparing parts?
>
> Thanks,
> David Gesswein

Beware of PREP results, they hav a tenuous relationship with reality.

PREP started as a laudable effort by several manufacturers of programmable
logic ( originally Actel, Altera, AMD, and Xilinx, soon joined by many
others ) to define standardized benchmarks for programmable logic. The
benchmarks are implemented by the manufacturer ( who understands the parts
best ) and checked by a competitor, to assure accuracy. Performance is
measured in clock rate, density in the number of times the standard
circuit can be implemented in a given chip. Since small EPLDs had to be
included, nine circuits were defined as small ( very small by today's
standards ) subsystems. Each circuit has combinatorial logic driving
output flip-flops, and the number of inputs is generally identical with
the number of outputs ( #1 is an exception ). These circuits are then
concatenated, each "instance" driving the inputs of the next instance. ( I
have used Lego blocks to describe the structure )

As a result, the big FPGAs contain 100 and more identical circuits, each
of them communicating with nothing else but its neighboring circuit. The
achievable density is a measure of how well the circuits are partitioned
and placed next to each other, (they usually pack very well ) and the
reported speed is dominated by the logic speed, since the interconnects
are usually very short.

Obviously, PREP ignores architecture-specific features ( Longlines,
decoders, clock distribution networks, global resets, RAMs, output
flip-flops, slew-rate control, xtal oscillators, output drive, power
consumption ) and does not report prices. This is not a criticism, but the
reader must keep the limtatio in mind.

There is only a weak correlation with real density and speed in real
systems. The committe put enormous emphasis on push-button automatic
implementation, without any user intervention. How meaningful or
meaningless that is in the actual implementation of a 10,000 to
20,000-gate circuit is debatable ( and was debated at length ).

To add insult to injury, one of the committee members found out that an
oversight in the original definition of two of the nine circuits made it
possible to extract common logic, implement it only once, and thus
concatenate only the remaining logic, obviously more often. It was touted
as a triumph of logic synthesis ( apparently over the stupidity of the
"Founding Fathers", I was one of them ), and the PREP committe was unable
to stop this distortion of the original intent.

Conclusion:

PREP gives somewhat meaningful numbers for the absolutely best packing
density of a few simple circuits with very limited interconnectivity (
provided the distortion mentioned above is taken into account).
PREP speed is even more affected by the small size of the circuits and the
short interconnects.
The cumbersome verification process has resulted in obsolete data being
published, and not updated often enough for a relevant comparison.

PREP numbers must be taken with a few grains of salt.

Peter Alfke, Xilinx.
Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed above are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

Article: 1918
From: jgriffit@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Jonathan Griffitts)
Date: 19 Sep 1995 18:23:00 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
otoe@si.sintef.no (Ola Torudbakken) writes:

>In article <DEvyE5.64L@hpqmoea.sqf.hp.com>, mjm@hpqtdzk.sqf.hp.com (Murdo McKissock) writes:
>> Ola Torudbakken (otoe@si.sintef.no) wrote:
>>
>> : I need some recommendation of FPGA's which may achieve a system speed
>> : of 40MHz. I'm not interested in hearing about FPGA products which can
>>
>> XC3100-3 family.  Use timing-driven place and route, limit full speed logic to
>> 3 levels of CLB combinatorial logic between registers, 1 level from chip
>> inputs, and use IOB FFs for all chip outputs.

>I've already used them in a previous design. The problem is the
>routing resources available. I've had really trouble getting these up
>to 20MHz (xc3195a) (large design). I think its possible to go as high
>as 30MHz, if you are using a lot of effort with the placing and
>routing, but not any further.

>You should also remember that the Xilinx people haven't managed to
>run a state machine (25 states, 40 transitions) faster than 30MHz, and
>still then the design contained only the fsm.  So, always look at
>fsm designes from the vendor, when you're lookin for speed.
>
>Ola

I must disagree.

I have done a moderately complex 40 MHz design using Xilinx XC31xx-5
parts (specificaly a 3190-5 and a 3142-5).  After that I did a totally
unrelated project and got 40 MHz performance using several XC40xx-4
parts.  My most recent project runs at 39 MHz using an XC4010D-4.

Each of these projects runs at the spec speed under worst-case timing
conditions.  Each FPGA contains one or more state machines, some with
30 or more states, and CLB usage is around 70% to 85%.  This is not
just theory -- these systems are running right now.

So it is my experience that 40 MHz operation CAN be achieved with
Xilinx XC3100 and 4000 series, using FPGAs of the -4 and -5 speed
grade parts.  Speeds of well over 50 MHz ought to be possible with the
-3 parts.  You do have to pay attention to what you are doing (and
what the place-and-route tools are doing) but it is certainly
possible.  Depending on the design, some amount of floorplanning
and/or timing-driven routing will be needed.

					Jonathan Griffitts
					AnyWare Engineering
					Boulder, CO
--
			   --JCG
AnyWare Engineering, Boulder CO

Article: 1919
From: Bill Banzhof <bill>
Date: 20 Sep 1995 00:42:43 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
>Could someone refer me to some references or sites where I can get info
>on what LFSR counters are?  I'm building a system using the Xilinx 4000

Linear Feedback Shift Registers

>series that requires fast FSM's and this would help a lot.  Also, would
>there be any sites that contain VHDL code for these counters?  Thanks
>in advance.

Not VHDL code, but interesting reading:

Read the "ASIC and EDA", Oct 1994,
         "Design tips for high-performance FPGA Design"
         by Stephen L. Wasson.

He has some info about the LFSR.  Also, get the file

LFSR.ZIP from the HighGate BBS at 408-255-9742.

/======================================================================\
| Bill Banzhof                          | Webb    : http://www.xlnt.com|
| Electronic Engineer                   |                              |
| XLNT Designs, Inc.                    | Voice   : 619-487-9320 x236  |
| 15050 Avenue of Science, Suite 200    | Fax     : 619-487-9768       |
| San Diego, CA 92128  USA              | Internet: bill@xlnt.com      |
\======================================================================/

Article: 1920
Subject: Re: QuickLogic SpDE 5.0
From: mccask@mccaskill.com (mccask)
Date: 20 Sep 1995 03:48:42 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

>Does anyone get QuickLogic SpDE 5.0 ? We paid for the maintence
>charge to upgrade from 4.0 for a long time but still don't get 5.0
>yet.

>Frankie Chung
>R & D Manager
>Onmate Technology Ltd

SpDE 5.0 has been out for a few months.  If you did not get your copy,
give them a call.

John McCaskill.

Article: 1921
From: mccask@mccaskill.com (mccask)
Date: 20 Sep 1995 04:02:47 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Try taking a look at the QuickLogic pASIC parts.  I have run them in 50 Mhz
data path aplications with ease, and they are very good at state machines.
The development system is very good. I have used all the pins on a part,
fixed them where I wanted them,  used 100% of the logic cells and had no
problems placing and routing them.  I like them, and I recomend them.

They have a $100 eval system that they tell me is not striped down from
the real version.  Call them at 1-800-842-FPGA.

John McCaskill
mccask@mccaskill.com

Article: 1922
Subject: Re: REPOST: Design Contest Write-up ( was "Jury Verdict + Test Benches" )
From: "Charles F. Shelor" <cfshelor@acm.org>
Date: 20 Sep 1995 04:27:52 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
About data typing.  My preference is to describe the data types in the
terminology of the problem domain at the top level; enumeration types,
records, integer ranges, etc.  As the design progresses to lower levels,
the data types also progress to lower levels.  (I may decide to "+"
to records (or matrices) together and define the "+" operation in
terms of the std_logic_vectors that comprise the matrix elements.)

Of course, once this has been completed you discover that your synthesis
tool cannot accept record data types as ports.  Synthesis vendors are
too busy trying to 'beat the other guy's benchmark' by 5 gates or
13 femtoseconds to extend their VHDL source support.  I am constantly
fighting a battle of how I wish to write VHDL to express my design
versus how my synthesis tool will accept the VHDL.

VHDL designers are letting the synthesis vendors (especially S.....)
dictate how VHDL will be written for synthesis rather than having the
synthesis adapt to how the designers develop their designs.  [Please
do not flame me about the differences between synthesizable VHDL and
non-synthesizable VHDL.  I am not advocating the synthesis of access
types! only more freedom in style and methodology issues.]  I am hoping
the new 'synthesis standard' will be a good first step.

Although I greatly prefer strongly typed languages, one desire that I
have had on multiple occasions was a synthesis function that was the
equivalent of the Ada 'unchecked_conversion' function.  Thus a record
that included some constrained integers and some booleans could be
immediately converted (without introducing any actual hardware) to
a std_logic_vector of the appropriate width and back again.

Charles F. Shelor                 cfshelor@acm.org
SHELOR ENGINEERING                (817) 467-9367
3308 Hollow Creek Rd              VHDL Training and Consulting
Arlington,  TX  76017-5346

Article: 1923
Subject: Simulation using XC3000 libraries
From: Evagelia Diamantakou <evd@sn2.ee.umist.ac.uk>
Date: 20 Sep 1995 14:23:09 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hello ,
      Does  anyone  know  if  I can  simulate  a  sheet  which
consists  of  both symbols  taken  from  Xilinx XC3000  library
and  symbols  based  on VHDL description.If  you  think  I  can ,
do  you  know  which  sequence  of  steps  I  sould  follow  to
simulate the sheet in  Mentor Graphics QuickSimII ?
Please  e-mail  me  any  replies .
Thanks ,
  Evagelia  Diamantakou .

Article: 1924
Subject: Satellite Video Conference: User Interface Strategies '96
From: Glenn Brown <itv@eng.umd.edu>
Date: 20 Sep 1995 14:42:13 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
You and members of your organization are invited to participate in a
live satellite downlink titled:

User Interface Strategies '96: Quality Usability Engineering

Wednesday, December 13, 1995
11am - 5pm Eastern (US time zone)

COURSE DESCRIPTION:  Three leaders in the field present their
perspectives on why the user interface is a central focus for
expanding applications of computers in business, education,
the home, etc.  They offer their visions and suggest exciting
opportunities for the next decade's developments.
Demonstrations, new software tools, guiding principles,
emerging theories, and future scenarios will be presented.

Please see additional details about this course on the
World Wide Web at http://www.glue.umd.edu/itv/.

BENEFITS:  After completing this course, you will:

- Understand how new user interface technologies and scientific
breakthroughs will improve your work

- Learn design techniques for appealing and successful web sites
vs. one that ends up on the list of the 10 worst

- Learn how to improve interface quality while decreasing the
cost and time of software development
- Learn about methodologies and tools to develop systems with
effective user interfaces

INTENDED AUDIENCE:  User interface designers, programmers,
software engineers, interface evaluators, managers in the
computing and communications fields, technical writers, human
factors specialists, trainers, marketing personnel.

SCHEDULE:  One live, 6-hour broadcast. All times in Eastern US time
zone.

11:00 - 12:00   Lecture 1: User Interface Update
Presented by Ben Shneiderman, University of Maryland
- Evaluate user interface design, internet web sites and the
National Information Infrastructure

- Discuss low cost webtop computers, competing windowing system
(Windows 95, OS/2 Warp, Macintosh), direct manipulation vs.
agentry, speech recognition, and novel pointing devices

- Demonstrate visualization methods such as starfields, dynamic
queries and lifelines for personal histories

12:00 - 12:30   30 minute break

12:30 - 1:25    Lecture 2: Designing and Evaluating Effective Web Sites
Presented by Ben Shneiderman, University of Maryland

- Discuss basic principles of interface design as applied to websites
such
as impact of screen size, transmission time, cognitive load, and
visual design

- Demonstrate the difference between an appealing successful site and
one that winds up on the list of ten worst

- Learn  page layout, use of graphics, structural design, navigation
methods and landmarks

1:25 - 1:35     10 minute break

1:35 - 2:30     Lecture 3 Designing Software for Usability: The
Cognetics Design Methodology
Presented by Charles B. Kreitzberg, President Cognetics Corp.

- Discuss early stages of high concept formation, task analysis,
key-screen design, and usability testing

- Learn how to decrease the cost and time of software development
and how to increase return on investment by using  six stages of
development; 1. Product Concept, 2. Project Planning, 3. Design
Concepts, 4. Iterative Design Refinement, 5. Implementation and
6. Rollout

2:30 - 3:00     30 minute break

3:00 - 3:55 Lecture 4: Software Engineering Strategies for
User Interface Design
Presented by Ed Yourdon, Yourdon, Inc.

- Learn about strategies and tools to develop systems with good
user interfaces and a well-engineered architecture for today's
GUI-based applications and the next-generation of user interfaces

- Discuss interface design and how to avoid a software engineering
disaster

3:55 - 4:05     10 minute break

4:05 - 5:00     Discussion: Panel discussion with all three speakers

- Phoned-in and faxed questions from the viewing

PRESENTERS:
Ben Shneiderman is Head of the Human-Computer Interaction
Laboratory, Professor of Computer Science, and Member of the
Institute for Systems Research all at the University of
Maryland, College Park.  He is the author of Designing the
User Interface, 2nd Edition and Software Psychology, and the
co-author of the hyperbook/disk Hypertext Hands-On!.
Dr. Shneiderman is editor of the Ablex Publishers series
on Human-Computer Interaction, on the editorial board of
6 journals, the author of 180 technical papers, and the creator
of the Hyperties hypertext system.  His lectures and consultancies
have included Apple, AT&T, IBM, Library of Congress, NASA,
NCR, and NEC.

Charles B. Kreitzberg, Ph.D. is founder and President of Cognetics
Corp., which since 1982  developed and applied usability engineering
methods to software products.  His award-winning work, which
synthesizes, computer technology with human cognition, includes
designs of automated teller machines, multimedia CD-ROM's,
on-line systems, software re-engineering, hypertext, training,
and interactive television.  Dr. Kreitzberg has been an international
consultant and lecturer for AT&T, Aetna, Ameritech, Citibank,
Chase Manhattan Bank, Dow Jones, the Library of Congress,
Harvard, Princeton, etc. Cognetics Corporation's Design
Methodology was developed to provide interactive designers,
software engineers and project managers with a structure to
plan and manage product development efforts, ensuring that
highly usable software is produced.

Edward Yourdon is a software engineering consultant, and is
widely known as the developer of the "Yourdon method" of
structured systems analysis and design, as well as the co-developer
of the Coad/Yourdon method of object-oriented analysis and design.
He is also the editor of three software journals - American
Programmer, Guerrilla Programmer, and Application.  Mr. Yourdon
has worked in the computer industry for 30 years, including
positions with DEC and General Electric.   In 1974, Mr. Yourdon
founded his own consulting firm, Yourdon Inc., to provide
educational, publishing, and consulting services in state-of-the-art
software engineering technology.  Ed Yourdon is the author of
over 200 technical articles; he has also written 20 computer books,
including a novel on computer crime and a book for the general
public entitled Nations At Risk.  His most recent books are
Mainstream Objects (1995), Object-Oriented Systems Development
(1994), and Decline and Fall of the American Programmer (1992).

Enrollment:
This symposium will be broadcast live through out North America
via unscrambled C Band and Ku Band satellite from the University
of Maryland Instructional Television System (ITV) and on the
National Technological University (NTU) Network.
Access to satellite dish is necessary.  In order to
arrange a  satellite down link, contact your organization's  training
office or a college/university near you.

Your organization might be a member of the NTU or the ITV network.
A list of NTU and ITV sites is included at the end of  this post.

*If you live in the Baltimore or Washington DC Metropolitan area
you can come to College Park and be a member of our studio
audience please send an e-mail request for details about how to
become part of the studio audience. E-mail  itv@eng.umd.edu

The down link site license for this course is $1,600; this includes
permission to videotape. If you cannot watch the broadcast live or
make a videotape, ITV will make a videotape for you at the cost of
$1,800. All videotape purchases are restricted for internal use by your
organization. Send check, money order, or purchase order
(made out to the University of Maryland) along with the attached
form to:
Professional Development Assistant (UIS '96),
University of Maryland, Instructional Television System (ITV),
2104 Engineering Classroom Building,
College Park, MD 20742.

On the check or purchase order please write UIS '96.

To process your live satellite downlink registration, we ask that
you register by December 6, 1994.  When we receive payment,
we will send the technical information and one set of notes that
can be  reproduced to accommodate the number of viewers
at your  location. For more information, please call
(301) 405-4905 or  FAX (301) 314-9639. e-mail itv@eng.umd.edu

Name: _____________________________________

Title: ______________________________________

Street Address: _______________________________

City: _______________________________________

State: _______  Zip: ___________________________

Phone: _____________________________________

FAX: _______________________________________

Check one

__  Live downlink $1,600

__  video tape $1,800

The list of ITV sites in the Washington DC/Baltimore area are;

University of Maryland College Park (studio audience)
Bureau of the Census
Department of Defense, Ft. Meade/FANX
NASA Goddard
Defense Mapping (DMA)
Naval Research Lab
Social Security Admn.
CTA
General Accounting Office
SAIC
World Bank
Ft. Ritchie

For more details on attending this broadcast in the
Maryland/DC Virginia area
Call ITV Marketing at 301-405-4905.
FAX: (301) 314-9639
Or e-mail  itv@eng.umd.edu

Your organization can join the ITV Network.  Send e-mail for details
itv@eng.umd.edu

*If you are an employee or member of the following
organizations/universities, you are member of the
NTU Network and your organization has the capability to
receive this broadcast. Contact your NTU Site Coordinator
for more information.  If you need their name and phone
number, call ITV Marketing at 301-405-4905.
Or e-mail  itv@eng.umd.edu

When you send e-mail please tell us the name and location of
your organization.

Participating Organizations:

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc
Aeroquip Corporation
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc.
ALCOA
Alliance for Higher Education
Allied Signal Aerospace Company
American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
AMP Incorporated
Analog Devices, Inc.
Applied Research Laboratory
Argonne National Laboratory
ARINC
Armco Steel Co., L.P.
Army Research Laboratory
AT & T
AT & T Global Information Solutions
AXIOHM IPB
Bellcore
BNR Inc.
Boeing Defense and Space Group
Bull Electronics
Burle Industries Inc.
Burr-Brown Corporation
Colorado Memory Systems
Computing Devices International
datotek, An AT & T Company
David Sarnoff Research Center
Deere & Company
Detroit Diesel Corporation
Digital Communications Associates, Inc.
Digital Equipment Corporation
Eastman Chemical Company
Eastman Kodak Company
Eaton Corporation
Eaton Cutler-Hammer
EG & G Rocky Flats
E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Company
Electronic Data Systems Corporation
E-Systems, Inc.
Ericsson GE Mobile Communications
Evans & Sutherland
Extended Systems, Inc.
Exxon Corporation
GBCS Education & Training
General Electric Company
General Instrument Corporation
Glenayre Electronics Corporation
GM Saginaw Steering
Grass Valley Group
GTE Corporation
Hamilton Standard
Harris Corporation
Hewlett-Packard Company
Honeywell, Inc.
HRB Systems
Hughes Missile Systems Company
IBM
Integrated Device Technology, Inc.
Intel Corporation
Internal Revenue Service
IOMEGA Corporation
John Deere Dubuque Works
K & L Microwave
Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory
Lake Shore, Inc.
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
LEXIS-NEXIS
Lexmark International, Inc.
Lockheed Martin Corporation
Loral Federal Systems Company
Loral Space Information Systems Company
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Magnavox Electro-Optical Systems Company
Magnavox Electronic Systems Company
Mason & Hanger
McDonnell Douglas Aerospace-East
Metrum Information Storage
Michigan Information Technology Network, Inc.
Micron Technology, Inc.
Middle Georgia Technology Development Center
Milliken & Company
The MITRE Corporation
Motorola, Inc.
Naval Air Development Center
Naval Air Engineering Center
Naval Air Systems Command
Naval Air Warfare Center
Naval Research Laboratory
Naval Surface Warfare Center
NASA
National Semiconductor Corporation
Noise Cancellation Technologies
Occidental Chemical Corporation
Pacific Bell
Pacific Tustin
Polaroid Corporation
Prince Corporation
PSE & G Nuclear Training Center
Quantum Corporation
RDL Inc.
Rockwell International Corporation
ROLM Company
Sandia National Laboratories
Santa Barbara Research Center
Schuller International, Inc.
Siemens Medical Systems, Inc.
Symbios Logic, Inc.
Tektronics Consolidated
Texas Instruments, Inc.
3M Company
The Travelers Insurance Company
U.S. West Advanced Technologies, Inc.
U.S. Air Force
U.S. Air Force Academy
U.S. Army
U.S. Bureau of Mines
U.S. Department of Energy
U.S. Mine Safety & Health Admistration
U.S. Navy
US Signal Corporation
Westinghouse Electronic Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation
Xerox Corporation
Zenith Data Systems

Arizona State University
Colorado State University
Columbia University
Cornell University
The George Washington University
Georgia Institute of Technology
GMI Engineering & Management Institute
Illinois Institute of Technology
Iowa State University
Kansas State University
Lehigh University
Michigan State University
Michigan Technological University
New Jersey Institute of Technology
New Mexico State University
North Carolina State University
Northeastern University
Oklahoma State University
Old Dominion University
Purdue University
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Southern Methodist University
The University of Alabama
University of Alaska at Fairbanks
The University of Arizona
University of California at Berkeley
University of California, Davis
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Delaware
University of Florida
University of Idaho
University of Kentucky
The University of Maryland College Park
University of Massachusets at Amherst
The University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Missouri-Rolla
The University of New Mexico
University of South Carolina
University of Southern California
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin-Madison

If you need help contacting the Satellite Coordinator at these
universities, call ITV Marketing at 301-405-4905.
Or e-mail itv@eng.umd.edu

*Unfortunately, this course is only available by satellite throughout
the North American Continent.  For other areas of the world, a
videotape will be available.