Subject: Re: FPGA in Wireless Designs
From: fliptron@netcom.com (Philip Freidin)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:50:56 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <7kljvu$mik$1@news.btv.ibm.com> "Anurag" <anurag@earthling.net> writes:
>Hi,
>Can a FPGA's be used in Wireless Telecom applications ( e.g.  3G wireless,
>software radios, wireless base-stations.....etc.) If yes, what specific
>functions could the FPGA perform in these designs ?

Yes. The FPGAs can be used for most of the DSP functions (in fact, many
of the DSP functions you want to do will be beyond traditional DSP
chips), as well as the normal system type stuff around the CPU chips,
doing interface, data buffering, bus interface.

The DSP functions include modulation, filtering, tracking, interleaving,
CRC, Reed-Solomon, Viterbi, Spread spectrum encoding/decoding, test
pattern generation and checking, Signal acquisition, RSSI, etc.

Article: 16976