Subject: FPGA to manage serial DAQ?
From: "Tim Kippen" <timk@dtsweb.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:08:40 GMT

I want to assess the feasibility of using an FPGA to manage multiple analog
to digital converters (ADC) which provide input and output via Motorola SPI
protocol.  The SPI is a standard 3-wire synchronous serial protocol which
can be emulated with code and bit-level instructions on single lines (SCLK,
SDATA, GND and a chip select).  I want to clock 32 ADC devices and capture
their output at 20K samples per second (2 bytes per sample) simultaneously
and continuously.  My idea is to feed the output of each ADC into a pin on a
FPGA and clock the data into internal registers which then line up the data
in channel order (with some FIFO buffering) for parallel removal.  Then, my
embedded processor will receive an interrupt when it is time to unload the
FIFO and will be able to pull the data out and place it in system memory.  I
can generate the sample and data clocks with the FPGA or externally.

Is an FPGA the right tool for this job?

If not, is anyone aware of a serial buffering device that will hold the data
until the micro can get around to all 32 ADCs within the 50 uS between
samples?

TIA,

Tim Kippen

Tim Kippen               Diversified Technical Systems, Inc.
Senior Engineer          909 Electric Avenue, Suite 206B
mailto:timk@dtsweb.com   Seal Beach, CA 90740
http://www.dtsweb.com/   562.493.0158 Fax: 562.493.3158

Article: 20026