Subject: considering a new XC4010E/XC4013E proto board with RAM
From: jangr@microsoft.com (Jan Gray)
Date: 17 May 1996 05:52:17 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Whereas:
* I'm a hobbyist -- and I wish to encourage other hobbyists to try FPGAs.
* I'm fed up with wire-wrapping and want to try designing my own PC boards;
* The PQFP versions of the XC4010E and XC4013E are much less costly than
  the PGA versions (and an XC4010E-PC84 just doesn't have enough I/Os).
* I need 64-bits of fast SRAM and DRAM for my current wide word RISC project.

I'm thinking of designing a little prototyping board with 64-bit RAM bus.

Possible features include:
* 208 pin PQFP pads for one XC4010E or XC4013E
* header pins to expose all the FPGA I/Os for wire wrapping etc.
* 3x4" or so wire wrap area
* SRAM - two 32Kx32 pipelined burst SRAMs (100 pin PQFPs)
  or perhaps a 160-pin COAST (cache on a stick) SRAM module socket
* DRAM - one 168-pin DIMM or two 72-pin SIMMs for optional 64-bit DRAM
  (FPM, EDO, or sync)
* xchecker compatible header pins
* MAX-23x RS-232 level converters and 2 9-pin DIN sockets
* bytewise flash ROM (for data or for master parallel config)
* miscellaneous features also found on Xilinx FPGA demo board:
  configuration DIP switches, crystal socket, some LEDs, etc.
* perhaps a small LCD display
* ISA bus connector? (less important)
* stackable or abuttable? (less important)

Component costs roughly $200/FPGA + $50 (SRAM) + $50 (rest)
+ $??? small run of 4-layer boards + $??? assembly.  I have no
confidence in my ability to hand assemble a board with a 0.5mm
pitch PQFP...

In terms of FPGA floor plan, the 64-bit RAM data path would go to 32
left edge and 32 right edge IOBs.  For instance, for a XC4010E it might
be the pads adjacent to the long lines on rows 5-20.  The 16-bit-or-so
RAM address lines and other control signals would leave the top middle IOBs.

Please reply by email:
* if you know of an inexpensive (<$500) instance of a similar
  board already
* if you might want one/some of these boards, populated or not,
* if you have any ideas or preferences regarding features above,
* if you could help with the design, layout, or manufacture, or
* if you do board layout or manufacture professionally and would like
  to bid on this job
* if you have any other advice to offer

Ideally there is some university out there with PCB manufacturing
tools and experience who could use a small run of such boards.  In
which case we could collaborate on the design/documentation and you
could perform the actual low volume assembly/manufacturing.

Cheers,
Jan Gray
Redmond, WA
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.

Article: 3351