Subject: Re: ASICs Vs. FPGA in Safety Critical Apps.
From: Brad Taylor <blt@emf.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 13:26:15 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Alasdair MacLean wrote:

> We tend to use antifuse parts (Actel) which are OTP rather
> than SRAM based parts. I'm fairly sure we would not be allowed
> to use SRAM parts in "flight-critical" applications.

Let's just assume:

1-  FPGAs allow you to weed out 'all' the BAD devices
    via extensive device testing.
3-  FPGAs do not ever just flip a program bit randomly.
    if timing and voltage margins are met.

If anyone has any evidence contrary to the above assumptions
I'd like to see it.

Lets also assume there are 0 bugs in the firmware.
Folllowing these assumptions, the failures we will be left with will
include real hardware failures over time.

The 9/96 Xilinx data book includes the some curves (page 11-2) for FPGA
failure rates at 70 deg C. These are based on 20,000 devices and
36,000,000 hours of testing.

Here are a few representative data points for 12/95:

XC4000 devices  20 FITS
XC3000 devices  15 FITS
XC3100 devices   0 FITS
XC2000 devices   0 FITS

A FIT is a device failure in 1 billion operating hours. I assume this
implies that a system of 100, 10 FIT devices would run for an average of
100 years years before failing due to a hardware failure. The failure
curves are extrapolated from high temperature testing 125-145 deg C.

I wonder if custom devices will have has so much measured testing?

Of course, we have to wonder what to make of such low rates.  The curves
also show the XC3100 curves to be -1 FITS in August of 95.  I am trying
to determine the physical meaning of this.
-
Brad

Article: 4801