Subject: Re: Glitchless Logic, hazards, and Metastability - Was Re: 22V10 Metastability - help please
From: murray@pa.dec.com (Hal Murray)
Date: 8 Jan 1999 03:25:09 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> Someone claims to be developing a 100% metastable-proof FF. Hmmm..,
> since a FF has to make a decision as to whether a signal is above a
> threshhold or below it and the signal can be exactly on the threshold,
> this would seem unlikely.

It's like the second law of thermo.  There is no way to make a
metastable-proof FF.  Your alarm bells should ring whenever anybody
even hints in that direction.

> Now that I think about it though, perhaps you could use an integrating
> window detector to determine is a signal was anywhwere near threshold
> around the sampling window. If so, the FF's clock enable could be
> disabled. (The delay through the threshold detector could be balanced by
> a fixed delay of the signal to be sampled using speed of light delay).

That's a typical example of the sort of kludges that people come up
with.  In this case, I think I can find the flaw.

You have just moved the problem.  Remember, you also have to meet
the setup and hold times for the clock enable.  What if the input
signal changes a bit earlier so the clock enable is changing at
the wrong time?

--
These are my opinions, not necessarily my employers.

Article: 14026