Subject: Re: Ratings for Synplicity Synplify
From: crm182c@nortelnetworks.com (Hing-Fai Lee)
Date: 19 Jan 1999 14:18:05 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I used synplicity on a Xilinx 40150. The versions I used were:
5.0.6, 5.0.7 and 5.0.8. Before getting to know synplicity, I
used Synopsys's FPGA Compilor on a Xilinx 4036. All works were
done on SUN workstations. Here is a summary of problems that
I have seen:

1. Crashing the WS from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7 when browsing the design
under technology view. 5.0.8 seemed to fix the problem although
there exist a Solaris patch to fix the a video card bug.

2. Running out of memory on 5.0.7. There is a memory leakage
problem that eats up all 1Gbytes of RAM in our Ultra. 5.0.8
fixed this problem.

3. Doing mapping forever on 5.0.6. The design ran for 20 hours
and still not done! 5.0.8 fixed this problem.

4. Misleading CLB usage count. In the beginning, I used the stats
reported in the .srr file to estimate how big the device would be.
Big mistake, as a lot of CLBs are used as route through and
the final size is 20% bigger (roughly).

5. Timing estimation is way off. At one time, we have hundreds
of timing violation from par. The par figure reported was like
19 nanosecong worst than that estimated by synplicity. Overall
synplicity's estimate is always too optimistic.

These are the worst problem that I have. There are many more. On the
plus side, the compile speed is very high compare to the FPGA
compiler. On the 4036 design, it was like 180 seconds vs 3.5 hours.
As well, the support is excellent. Every call is answered very
quickly with work around that works. The tool has improved a lot
since the beginning but is still being developed. At the end,
we decided to stay with synplicity inspite of its many problems.

Good luck, Hing-Fai

Nortel Networks
Dept 1D13, Mail Stop 162   Phone: 613-765-2097
P.O. Box 3511, Station C   FAX  : 613-763-1327
Ottawa, Canada, K1Y 4H7    Email: crm182c@nortelnetworks.com
Article: 14201