Subject: Re: [q][Reverse Engineering Protection]
From: sreeb@crash.cts.com (Ed Beers)
Date: 27 Dec 95 17:02:23 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In <4bqt7v$q99@earth.superlink.net> rob-l@superlink.net (Rob-L) writes:

>R. D. Davis (rdd@access1.digex.net) wrote:
>: This isn't protecting one's investment, it's cheating the purchaser
>: of ones products by making them unrepairable.
>[snip]

>When someone buys something, they should expect proper operation for some
>time, but not forever.  If it can be repaired, great, but it can provide
>value even if it fails later on.  That's not cheating the purchaser.

>With electronic components/assemblies, the manufacturer has configured
>some materials for you, in order to perform some function you desire.
>You pay them for the product, and you get that function for at least the
>warranty period or some reasonable time for the type of device.

>So you make a protected chip, and make it to last some number of hours
>minimum.  If it fails before then, it gets replaced free.  If it lasts
>beyond its expected lifetime, that's free use of a product, which is a
>benefit to the purchaser.  If a product is not used as intended and it
>fails, or if it's tampered with and self-destructs, the purchaser eats
>the loss.  That's the way it's always been.

Remember that the warranty period is not the same as the expected life
for most products.  I think that it is reasonable to expect most modern
electronics equipment to last 10 to twenty years unless it has moving parts.
If you are installing a battery that can't be replaced (since doing so would
lose the fpga program), then your packaging and sales literature should
reflect the finite life or need to periodically return the product to
the vendor.  As long as the customer can make an informed decision, I
don't see a problem.

Of course additional costs for batteries and warranty service along
with customer aversion may make this a bad business decision for you.

Ed

Article: 2526