Subject: Re: [q][Reverse Engineering Protection]
From: ryork@stimpy.micro.ti.com (Robert York)
Date: 13 Jan 1996 02:49:04 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
  I have not seen anyone mention what is IMHO one major reason for
avoiding the use of "reverse engineering protection" schemes.  Perhaps
other respondents live in a more perfect world than mine, where every
device works as intended and process variations are unknown.  I suspect
the first person forced to deal with such a scheme will be some poor
sucker in the product engineering department of the designer's own
company.  Or perhaps some quality engineer who receives the first
returned material from a customer whose assembly line is shut down until
some nebulous glitch is found and eradicated.  To paraphrase/mangle
Shakespeare "An engineer hoist on his own petard makes a lovely sight."
    Instead of concentrating on baffling the competition you might
consider some additional effort put into design for failure analysis.
Make the device easier to inspect and understand and you will undoubtedly
receive much more benefit from than the competition.
    If you have the equivalent of a 741 op amp, which the entire world
will rush to copy, then perhaps reverse engineering protection makes
sense.  But if you do use some such scheme you had better know how to
defeat it yourself or be long gone by the time the failures roll in.

R.E. York
My employer's opinions tend to look like MILSPEC documents.
My own opinions are easy to distinguish and seldom congruent.

Article: 2626