Subject: Re: Altera support better than Xilinx
From: eteam@aracnet.com (bob elkind)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 19:26:45 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <fliptronE4xsAM.1Lw@netcom.com>, fliptron@netcom.com says...
> In article <32f51952.49206535@news.alt.net> zx80@dgiserve.com (Peter) writes:
> >
> >Perhaps this whole business illustrates how some FPGA vendors are
> >dependent on someone else's silicon foundry.
> >
> >We all know that many/most FPGAs (including Xilinx) are made by Sharp,
> >Seiko/Epson, etc but I am sure few people realised that if one of
> >these foundries decide to drop something, you can say bye bye to your
> >FPGAs.
> >
> >Somehow I cannot believe that Xilinx in particular would rely on such
> >an arrangement, however.
> >Peter.
>
> Xilinx AND Altera normally are not as exposed as this little episode has
> demonstrated, because they run their products in multiple fabs with
> multiple foundary partners. What this episode demonstrates is the problem
> of using non mainstream process technology. I would guess that the
> situation is far worse for AntiFuse FPGA vendors, since the technology is
> far from mainstream, and it is unlikely that multiple foundaries can be
> supported with the process modifications needed to support the fuses, and
> that the independent fabs will run it the same way.
>
> Philip Freidin

Philip makes a good point.
Any Lattice PLD customers out there? <g>
[i.e. interesting non-mainstream process requirements,
no captive fab]

On another hand, if one looks to a PLD/FPGA vendor with a
*captive* (i.e. internal) fab, what happens when their
fab line catches a virus and they can't produce the goods?

You can't [be guaranteed to] win, there is no perfect *and*
economical scenario.

There are umpteen different ways to screw up, and umpteen
different ways to reduce exposure/risk.  But (unless you are
Maxim!) there are relatively few opportunities to excite
customers with boring and unadventurous processes.

Bob Elkind                              mailto:eteam@aracnet.com
7118 SW Lee Road               part-time fax number:503.357.9001
Gaston, OR 97119           cell:503.709.1985   home:503.359.4903
****** Video processing, R&D, ASIC, FPGA design consulting *****

Article: 5251