Subject: Test - please ignore!
From: "johnd" <djon@dragoncon.net>
Date: 11 Nov 1998 15:27:46 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Told you!

Get free web based email and newsgroup sending from
http://www.dragoncon.net
Article: 13026
Subject: Re: placement&routing problems
From: randraka@my-dejanews.com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:29:52 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
My ISP's news reader is temporarily broken, so I'm doing my best with dejanews

In article <NRZz7CAfxKS2EwwE@edmoore.demon.co.uk>,
  Edward Moore <edmoore@edmoore.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> A few of points:
>
> 1. One of the improvements to Par/v1.5 is that ram blocks are recognised
> as such, and are supposedly placed in a sensible manner. This should
> remove the need for RLOC'ing.

should, but it doesn't!

> 2. It sounds like Xilinx have suggested the -ir map option to get round
> some mapping bug's in version 1.5. However, if the -ir option is used
> relative placement information is lost, so RLOC'ing wouldn't get you
> anywhere.  I suggest getting the M1.5 service pack anyway.

And then get 1.5i, which should be out any day now.  1.5 service pack is
available on the xilinx website.  !.5i should be there in a day or two.

> 3. If the clb's with rams are intended to also have flip-flops, it might
> be worth while checking in EPIC that they are both going in the same
> clb.

Be careful here.  If the Rams and ffs are parts of separate RPMs, 1.5 won't
let you put them in the same CLB.

> 4. Contrary to popular belief, structured hierarchical relative
> placement is possible with VHDL too. In fact it's easier and quicker.

Show me.

--
Ray Andraka, P.E.
president