Subject: Re: FPGA Decouple Capacitor values
From: Paul Walker <paul@walker.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:38:35 +0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <3639D973.1F3C8FD0@brookes.ac.uk>, Jonathan Bromley
<jsebromley@brookes.ac.uk> writes
>It seems to me that we have two problems to solve,
>and that the solutions are almost conflicting.

Thanks to Jonathan and all the other contributors to this
thread, for lots of interesting and useful info. Here's an
anecdote and a few other points that don't seem to have
been mentioned.

It was in the early 70s that I started to learn --- the
hard way --- that this sort of thing was important. The
board I'd designed was double-sided, with mostly ECL, but
there were a few ECL to TTL converters. One of these was
particularly well connected to 0V, by a trace a quarter of
an inch wide and just over an inch long. After a long time
of abortive hunting for the intermittent fault on the board,
a colleague ran a scope probe from one end to the other of
this trace. It went from no noise at one end to about a
volt at the level-changer's 0V pin, along this super wide
short trace!

The fix was almost ridiculously easy, to add wires facing
North South and East from the 0V pin in addition to the
trace facing West. The wires could be as fine as you
wanted --- there just needed to be connection from
different directions.

This finding supports the suggestion made early in the
thread for taking traces in several directions from the
decoupling capacitor to join them to the ground plane and
VCC plane. But it also suggests that, for surface mount
chips, it is worth-while to have vias at both ends of the
GND and VCC pads.

The several traces in different directions help in two
ways. If there are three traces, the current is divided by
three so LdI/dt is also divided by three. But also
(because the current is flowing in different directions)
there is some mutual inductance between the wires and so
the L in the LdI/dt equation is reduced. So the total
noise from thee wires is going to be less than a third of
the noise from one wire. Or with GND vias both sides of a
TQFP pad, the inductance is less than half what it would
be if there was only the one via.

The chip manufacturers can also give us benefit from
mutual inductance by placing VCC pins adjacent to GND
pins. The two adjacent pins and the traces connecting to
them are balun transformer or common-mode choke. The
differential impedance of such a transformer is very low,
ie for current flowing into the VCC pin and out of the GND
pin, which is the current flow the decoupling capacitors
are there to provide. OK the transformer is air-cored rather
than ferrite-cored, but the higher the frequency, the
more effective is the air core.

Something the chip manufacturers can't avoid is on-chip
capacitance between GND and VCC. It may be best to take
this as a bonus and leave it out of the calculations, but
it is probably the ideal place (and maybe the only place)
for decoupling the GHz frequencies that we see at least as
harmonics in modern chips.

Like other contributors to the thread, I tend to err on
the side of over-engineering decoupling and ground planes.
But our efforts as design engineers can be negated by
penny-pinching in production. I've seen SIMMs with lots of
pads for decoupling caps, but with none fitted. What's
more, the SIMMs and the computers they are in seem to
work. (Or maybe Bill Gates gets cursed for a crash when
it's actually because there is no decoupling on the RAM.)

And while I've heard of CPLDs reprogramming themselves
because of noise, Xilinx at least make some pretty strong
claims about their tolerance of sagging VCC. I used their
demo board, which is double sided with no GND plane, and
had no problem from VCC. There was a problem from
simultaneous switching of lots of outputs, combined with
an unterminated signal cable. But with the signal cable
correctly terminated, even the simultaneous switching
noise gave no problem.

It might not all be quite as bad as we fear, but having
gone so wrong 25 years ago, I'll continue to err on the
safe side. And thanks again to the contributors who have
pointed out so clearly what the "safe side" should be.

Paul
--
Paul Walker                      4Links                      phone/fax
paul@4Links.co.uk                P O Box 816, Two Mile Ash    +44 1908