Subject: Problems Fitting Design When Inserting More Than One Internal Global Buffer...
From: "Nestor" <nestor@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:37:39 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi everyone.

      I have written a vhdl design which I cannot fit in an Altera
flex10k100a-1 because of limited or problematic internal global signal
resources (I believe).

My design description:

      I supply two external clocks to my design called clk and clk_half (one
is half the frequency of the other).  The design processes some data using
internal counters and other operations, and, based on some conditons,
generates two other internal clocks using a 2-bit counter supplied by clk.
The genrated clocks are named clk_gen and clk_gen_half, where the frequency
of clk_gen equals that of clk_half, but its phase is offset by at most 2
cycles of clk, and clk_gen_half is half the frequency of clk_gen.

My problem is the following:

      I compile my design in leonardo spectrum without any problems (my
design also compiles correctly in synplify).  I then bring my design to
Altera maxplus2 and that's when the problems begin.  Based on my description
description, I would like to assign the two internally generated clocks to
internal global signal resources.  Based on the Altera databook and some
Atlas solution notes from the Altera web site, Altera claims that 4 internal
global resources can be allocated, in addition to the two dedicated clock
inputs.  However, for each internal global used, a dedicated input is lost.
The flex10k100a has 2 dedicated clock inputs and 4 dedicated inputs.

      I assign my external clk and clk_half to the dedicated clock pins and
assign the internally
generated clk_gen and clk_gen_half to two global primitives.  This means
that I should still have 2 global resources free for other things (however,
they are not used).  My assignments are done using an Altera constraints
file (.acf).  I then run maxplus2 which fails during the fitter stage.
maxplus2 reports that design cannot fit.  I let maxplus2 try the auto device
selection and the add devices as needed, but it stil cannot fit my design
(which only occupies 30 out of 4992 logic cells (LCs)).

      I have tried many different combinations of global assignments (auto,
manually fored in acf, etc.), and the only one that maxplus2 can finish
succesfully is the one with only a single internal global assignment (clk
and clk_half are external globals, clk_gen is an internal global and
clk_gen_half uses internal logic.  I also have an external  reset but it
makes no difference if I assign to a global or not, either automatically or
manually).  Even assigning globals to the 2 internal clocks and set
everything else to use standard routing fails the fit (only one internal
gloga succeeds).

      I have read that I can route the generated clocks to output pins and
feed them back in to the chip using a dedicated input.  However, Altera
claims that flex10k devices can use the dedicated resources directly from
within the chip without the need for external connections.  Also, in my
current development board setup, I cannot connect an output pin to the input
pin because the board has alreay been designed and modifications are not
possible.

      I am using maxplus2 ver9.64 (I have also tried ver9.60 but the
behavior is identical persists))

      I have contacted Altera tech support but they have not answered my
question yet.  That's why I decided to ask the vhdl/fpga community.  I will
post their solution if they can solve this problem.

      In the meantime, if anyone can provide some information from their
experience or some other source, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for being so patient while
reading this long post.

      Nestor

Article: 25076