Subject: Re: Architecture for high-level reconfigurable computing
From: Neil Franklin <neil@franklin.ch.remove>
Date: 15 May 2002 21:31:48 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Micah Dowty <micahjd@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Tue, 14 May 2002 14:34:37 -0600, Neil Franklin wrote:
>
> >> If JBits can in fact to routing, it
> >> sounds like a good interim solution to use until you reverse engineer
> >> the bitstream so we can have faster and open tools.
> >
> > It can and it is.
>
> Sounds like it would be useful to have an intermediate format that could
> be fed into a JBits-based tool or into your open tools. Are there already
> any good formats for this?

Never heard of one.
But also never looked for one, so above does not mean much.

FYI: I am presently aiming that my tools will be 2-level:

- an .so library (libvirtex) with an API of functions, callable from
  C (or possibly also perl).
- an assembler-like program (vas) that uses above library, and reads
  an abstracted assembly-like source file.

Aim of that is that then VHDL/Verilog/... compilers can target 'vas'
to make the bitstream, the same as the gcc C/Fortran/... compilers
target 'as' to make the binaries.

I _perhaps_ may develop the 'vas' source language still using JBits,
i.e. there would in the end exist 2 assemblers for it, one written in
Java/JBits and one in C/libvirtex.

This source form may be usefull as an intermediate form for you:

design---your-Tool---C/gcc---as-------------binary for CPU
                 `---X/???---vas/libvirtex--bitstream for FPGA
                           `-vas/JBits-----'

Of course this language is not yet defined, so it may be no more use
to you than waiting till I am finished. So perhaps better to use
direct JBits and then convert.

For an preview of the ideas going into developing this language, look
at the style adopted in my PDP-10 code. Particularly how I wrap the
JBits API with the stuff in the first larger section of the code.

P.S: I am now going offline for 5 days, visiting the anual
German/Swiss/Austrian Linux User Group meeting. They should have
Internet there, but last year it sucked so bad that even ssh failled.
So I do not expect to be able to Usenet while there.

--
Neil Franklin, neil@franklin.ch.remove http://neil.franklin.ch/
Hacker, Unix Guru, El Eng HTL/BSc, Sysadmin, Archer, Roleplayer

Article: 43176