Subject: Re: Numerically-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (NCXO) or Digitally-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (DCXO) Designs
From: "doug" <doug@hogg.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:36:52 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Filters are a bad idea except under very special conditions.  You need
to have a fixed frequency and that frequency needs to be in a special
relationship with the clock.  If you are near a binary divisor of the clock
frequency, the jitter will produce sidebands too near the carrier to be
removed by any filter that makes reasonable sense.  The D/A makes
a tuneable filter and it works well.
I did extensive computer simulations of this when I made all digital plls
nearly 20 years ago (probably long predating any patents on the obvious
idea) and found that with a careful choice of frequency, the spurs could
be avoided in some small range.  However, making a broad range source
did not justify the effort to try to skip the D/A.  Sine lookup table are
not
necessary.
Companies like Analog Devices have made the discussion moot with their
line of cheap and versatile DDCs.  They work very well and are easy to use
and do not require much in the way of external parts.

"Austin Lesea" <austin.lesea@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> You are correct in stating that a filter is required to reduce jitter,
>
> A bandpass filter with high Q is what is needed.  The PLL with VCXO has a
Q of
> millions.  A good tank circuit works also, but less well (Q ~100).
>
> Guess what happens when you put the square wave MSB) into the same band
pass
> filter?  Pop: out comes the fundamental (for less money).
>
> I always get a kick out of all of those expensive sine wave lookups tables
and
> A/D's doing nothing.
>
> If a low Q filter is used, there is some tiny improvement in the lookup
table
> conversion method due to the sideband power not adding to the overall
phase
> noise.
>
> Don't take my word for it, use a good spectrum analyzer to analyze the
sidebands
> at each point in the circuit.  Take out the D/A and see what changes.  It
> usually makes the jitter less because of D/A noise issues, reference nosie
> issues, and comparator noise issues.
>
> "The common wisdom is neither common, nor wise." anon.
>
> Austin
>
> rickman wrote:
>
> > You are not totally correct Austin. If you want a square wave without a
> > lot of jitter, then you do need the sine wave which can be filtered to
> > produce a wave of just the fundamental. This is then compared to a fixed
> > voltage to produce a square wave with no jitter.
> >
> > If you don't do this, you will have a time jitter equal to your master
> > clock period as you noted. This is often not acceptable and the sine
> > wave lookup, DAC and filter can be less circuitry than the VCXO, phase
> > comparator and filter. In fact you can get the whole shebang in one chip
> > less the filter.
> >
> > Austin Lesea wrote:
> > >
> > > Nestor,
> > >
> > > A DDFS (direct digital frequency synthesizer) is an adder/accumulator.
> > > They have been around for perhaps 30 years now.  I have used them for
> > > years in FPGAs.  The sine look up table is only used if you want a
sine
> > > wave.  I have seen people use a sine look up table, a D/A, and then
follow
> > > that mess with a comparator -- TO GET A SQUARE WAVE!  Think about it.
The
> > > MSB of the DDFS was already the signal they wanted!
> > >
> > > So, if you don't want a sine wave, don't add all that junk.
> > >
> > > The p-p jitter is the clock period used, and the Fout < 1/2 Fclock.
> > >
> > > I would use the highest frequency I could get away with.  If you
require
> > > even less jitter, the output can be passed through a single simple
VCXO
> > > used in a PLL loop with an XOR phase detector and an external RC to
remove
> > > practically all of the jitter if the frequency output range is narrow
> > > enough.
> > >
> > > Placing the DDFS in a locked loop, results in a complete digital
locked
> > > loop (Patented -- look it up, under my name).
> > >
> > > There are many nice parts out there that package the whole thing, and
are
> > > inexpensive, so you need to evaluate what it is going to be used for,
and
> > > decide if you want to build it in, or not.
> > >
> > > Also look at:
> > >
> > >  http://www.xilinx.com/xcell/xl31/xl31_32.pdf
> > >
> > > for fractional synthesis,and other NCO's.
> > >
> > > Austin Lesea

> > --
> >
> > Rick Collins
> >
> > rick.collins@XYarius.com
> >
> > Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY
> > removed.
> >
> > Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company
> > Specializing in DSP and FPGA design
> >
> > Arius
> > 4 King Ave
> > Frederick, MD 21701-3110