Subject: Re: Output switching time
From: "Martin Schoeberl" <martin.schoeberl@chello.at>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 14:17:52 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Trying to get some numbers:
In the ACEX data sheet there is a plot output current vs. output voltage.
The Low output is strong => generates more problems. Using the this I get
about 80 mA at 1 V. Results in an Rs of 12.5 R.

Sample Load is a async. Ram with Cin = 8 pF, Cout of ACEX is 10 pF => Cl is
about 20 pF.
The resulting Trc = 250 ps. Tr(rise) = 2.2 * Trc = 550 ps. Thats pretty
fast.

Now mapping these results to the Cyclone. Acex garanties max. 0.45V at 12 mA
for Vlow, Cyclone 24 mA at the same Voltage. => Rs is half of Acex (6 R).
Output strength of LVTTL can be reduced to 4 mA (1/6).
Does this result in an equivalent source resistor of 36 R?
With 36 R Tr is 3.3 ns. This means no real problems at signal traces shorter
than 10 cm (l[cm]/56ps < 1/6*tr, 56 ps/cm on outer layer of board with er
4.5).

Does this simple calculation make sense? What changes with the slow slew
rate control?

JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs now
on Cyclone: http://www.jopdesign.com/cyclone/
"Martin Schoeberl" <martin.schoeberl@chello.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm interested in the minimum switching time of current FPGAs. E.g. in a
> Cyclone you can select IO drive strength and slew rate control. But I
> haven't found the resulting timings in the data sheet. Am I reading
> something wrong?
>
> Martin

> JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs now
> on Cyclone: http://www.jopdesign.com/cyclone/

Article: 55351