Subject: Re: IOB FF in Synplicity
From: Rick Filipkiewicz <rick@algor.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:33:25 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Rick Collins wrote:

> Rick Filipkiewicz wrote:
> > I've been working around this for some time by maintaining a list of what I
> > expect to see in the IOBs
> > and using a perl script to compare that with the last section of the MAP
> > report. The list, in fact, holds exceptions to the rule that everything is
> > registered onto & off the chip i.e. the default is to see INFF/OUTFF on an
> > input/output (or both on a bidir - the script parses the top level module to
> > get a list of the IOs).
>
> I am dealing with this problem right now. I can't seem to find the
> earlier posts on this topic that would have covered the details that can
> prevent an inferred FF from being moved to the IOB. I know you can't use
> the async S/R (other than via GSR) and you can't use the output for any
> other logic for an OFDX. A manager who has worked this design says you
> can't even source the FF from internal logic, but rather it has to be
> connected to another FF output. Anyone know about this?

That might have been true once, I vaguely remember it circa M1.4/5, but it
certainly isn't 2.1i+.

> I looked through a hundred or so results in the Xilinx data base, but
> could not find a doc that summarizes all of the things that are required
> to let a FF be placed in the IOB. Our parts are 4000XLA.
>
> Anyone care to take a stab at this list?

Here are the rules for IN/OUT FFs. The tri-state FFs are special and for XC4K
series parts that have them they have to be forced in some obscure way I cannot
remember.

R1: Out FF: No feedback from the output pin, no post output logic. For XC4K you
can do an inversion since the output polarity is selectable but that's all & even
that's dangerous since the synth tool might decide to merge some other logic in
with the inversion.

R2: In FF: No rules except the weak one that there must be no logic between the
pin & FF.

For BiDir IOs where both in & out are to be registered we have:

R3A:  Common clock. Shouldn't be a problem if you stick to the globals.

R3B:  Common initialisation signal. In can do different things to either FF e.g.
one can be an async set & the other a sync preset. A corollary to this is that if
one FF has an init condition so must the other & from the same signal. In other
words this sort of thing is not allowed:

always @(posedge clk)
    if (reset_myinput)
        reg_myinput <= 0;
    else
        reg_myinput <= myinput;

always @(posedge clk)
    reg_myoutput <= myoutput_src

I'm not sure whether this last is a an architectural restriction or a s/w bug
that's now a feature.

R3C: [XC4K only, maybe only some of them] Common clock enable. Note that as in R3A
if one FF has a CE then so must the other.

Now for the crunches aka what Synplify does wrong:

o If you have a bidir registered IO bus with say 64 pins then R3B says that all 64
FF pairs have to have the same init signal. The simplest solution to this is to
just have one common signal. However even if you ensure this in the code Synplify
may do some replication for you & break the rule because it doesn't have the
intelligence to make sure that after fanning out it sticks to R3B is it can.

Similarly for R3C & XC4K parts.

o Synplify considers e.g. a synchronous reset as a "free and gate" in this sense:
If it sees this sort of structure in the logic feeding an FF:

!foo & bar

it will quite cheerfully put foo on the `D' input & bar on the sync reset -
potentially violating R3B. This is where I first came across the IOB packing
problem. Its also possible that this is what your manager has seen as well. You
can hack around this with ``syn_keep'' directives or adding an async set/reset to
the FF concerned.

o If the register you want to pack into an IOB output FF is buried deep inside
some state machine there's no way of telling the Syn' optimiser not to violate R1.
This is the one I'm fighting at the moment. I have a couple of seriously ugly code
specific kludges that work but I don't yet quite understand *why* they work.
However this might just be a consequence of my design style - I don't like
designing SMs as separate combinatorial & registered parts. Even that doesn't help
without adding some extraneous signals to confuse the optimiser.

Of course if you have Syn-Pro with retiming switched on globally that's yet
another source of IOB FF rule breaking.

This is the story as far as I know it & as long as I can (i) stick to the rules at
HDL level, (ii) persuade Syn not to break them behind my back, then IOB packing
works fine [I just set the -pr b flag to MAP].

Generally things go along o.k. for a long time then I do some change & my MAP
report parser barfs & I end up with long & tedious head scratching session.

I might be behind the s/w times on some of these rules & its just possible that
I've overspec'ed the restrictions but I don't think by very much. Basically IOB FF
packing is easy & automagic when it goes right but a serious, Class 1++, PITA when
it doesn't. I tend to leave fixing it till right to the end, if I can, after the
logic works & the timing analysis is fine everywhere but some IOB failed-to-pack
FFs. I don't like doing it like this but the patches that need to be applied are
sometimes build specific.

Your mileage will probably vary by an order of magnitude or so ... Good luck &
happy packing.

Article: 33501