Subject: Re: Regarding driving of SCL and SDA pins of I2C
From: "Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:31:21 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
<praveen.kantharajapura@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:47cf10b7.0504130430.9a34497@posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> This is a basic qustion regarding SDA and SCL pins.
> Since both these pins are bidirectional these should pins need to be
> tristated , so that the slave can acknowledge on SDA.
>
> But i have seen in some docs that a '1' need to be converted to a 'Z'
> while driving on SDA and SCL, what is the reason behind this????
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Praveen

well in order to drive '1' (EXERNAL RESISTIVE PULLUP) you need to Z the wire
eg tristate it.
0 is driven as 0
1 is driven (or relased) as Z, ext pullup will pull the wire high

From: "Fred" <Fred@nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:33:57 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

<praveen.kantharajapura@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This is a basic qustion regarding SDA and SCL pins.
> Since both these pins are bidirectional these should pins need to be
> tristated , so that the slave can acknowledge on SDA.
>
> But i have seen in some docs that a '1' need to be converted to a 'Z'
> while driving on SDA and SCL, what is the reason behind this????
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Praveen

They're not tri-stated as such, merely a pull down or open collector output,
with an external resistive pull-up.  If using a micro or FPGA then set the
output to a "0" and use the tri-state enable to turn the pin on or off.

Article: 82477