Subject: Re: Clock Generation : FPGA
From: Rene Tschaggelar <none@none.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:43:08 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
bijoy wrote:

> Hi I am using Spartan-3 fpga
>
> I need to generate 35.328 MHz clock
>
> I have an external xtal of 35.328 MHz feeding to FPGA.
>
> From this clock i need to generate 35.328 MHz square wave with fine resolution.
>
> We need a resolution of 1Hz, that means i should be able to change the square wave out put frequency by 1 Hz resolution.
>
> I tried to generate this by using DDS core provided by core-generator and taking the MSBit of the sine wave samples given by the DDS. But the spurious components generated using this method is too much for my application to accept.
>
> Is there any-other way out ?
>
> ( This is for ADSL Modem appliaction. we currently use DDS provided by Analog devices.
>
> So i thought of using FPGA for this purpose as an alternative solution. )

How would an FPGA be able to achieve a clock that
was difficlt to achieve otherwise ? So when a 300MHz
DDS is too noisy, rebuilding the DDS with an FPGA
is not going to help.
What is also not going to help is a PLL with a Phase
comparator running at 1Hz.
The other possible way would be to single side band
modulate your carrier. The probelm there ist the
suppression of the other sideband and the suppression
of the carrier. In the 35MHz range, a suppression of
40dB should be doable. The existing 35MHz clock would
be the LO, of which you'd need another channel 90
degrees shifted. Then you's need the difference frequency,
in 1Hz steps, possibly from a DDS, and a pair of
mixers. This difference frequency is the IF channel,
also required in quadrature, eg 90 degrees shifted.

I'd stick with a DSS and filter the signal.
An AD9854 or such.

Rene