Subject: Re: FPGA C Compiler on sourceforge.net (TMCC derivative)
From: "Robin Bruce" <robin.bruce@gmail.com>
Date: 4 Nov 2005 07:15:00 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
>With FPGAs increasing in size at roughly the same Moore's Law rate, and similar >performance increases, the end result is that "surprisingly efficient circuits from nearly >arbitrary C" is more than good enough to replace VHDL/Verilog for the majority of >algorithmic and systems level designs to allow faster time to market, with a larger pool >of  talent (being able to draw on C coders), with good enough performance and fit so >that expensive fine tuning and coding in VHDL/Verilog will NOT be required.

Wow, that's a long sentence :) and one I broadly agree with. I'm not so
sure about the phrase "nearly arbitrary C". I don't know all the tools
though, so I'm presenting my limited experiences here, not what I think
is universally true... So no flaming. :)

Is there any tool out there that can produce code that rivals good VHDL
when written by a "C coder"? I'm currently working with a very bright
undergrad who has never used VHDL before, and I've got them using a
C-to-VHDL tool. To effectively use the tool, they're having to
understand why they need shortcuts that avoid "/, % and *" as much as
possible. They need to think about memory management in a very new way,
in a land where BRAM is not limitless. They're also having to consider
the differences between BRAM, SRAM and registered values and their
effects on performance. They need to understand what will break the
pipeline and what won't, what will result in big pipeline latency and
what won't. They need explanations as to why a few small changes can
quarter the final slice count. To work effectively you need to
understand what kind of hardware that you are inferring by what you
write. Two functionally equivalent statements can compile to  two very
different VHDL projects. In my experience, HLLs free you up from the
drudgeries of HDLs, but they don't yet free you up from the need for an
understanding of the underlying hardware. With nothing but a C
knowledge you can get something big and slow, but for small and fast,
you need to know what you're inferring.

Cheers,

Robin

Article: 91376