Subject: Re: Xchecker schematic?
From: Ray Andraka <randraka@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:30:50 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

a@z.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You may want to take a look at the Parallel III cable - same
> functionality but contains  just some buffers. It can also double as a
> JTAG download cable too.

well, not exactly.  Same purpose, but not as much functionality.  You can't
do readback with a parallel III for example.

> Regards,
> Catalin
>
> Ray Andraka wrote:
>
> > It's not a trivial design.  It's got an XC3042 FPGA in it among other
> > things.
> >
> > Fuzesi Arnold wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All!
> > >
> > > I want to make my own xchecker cable.
> > >
> > > Is it possible ?
> > >
> > > Can I copy an original cable?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Arnold
> > > /Electrical Engineer Student/
> >
> > --
> > -Ray Andraka, P.E.
> > President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.
> > 401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
> > email randraka@ids.net
> > http://users.ids.net/~randraka

http://users.ids.net/~randraka

Article: 20851
Subject: Re: MRP systems
From: Rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:56:46 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Fred Marshall wrote:

> Rickman,
>
> Saying QuickBooks (which is what I use) and MRP / integrated capabilities
> seems quite a stretch when you consider the price of the packages.  If
> you're just starting out, what's really wrong with simply buying in two
> categories:
> 1) reeled parts that come in relatively large quantities but aren't cost
> drivers.
> 2) all the others that you'll probably buy for each production lot.
>
> Just buy them off the BOM.  It's not that big a deal.
>
> If you really want to be prepared to be a much bigger company then you'll
> probably be investing in all sorts of infrastructure around the MRP system.
>
> It all revolves around how much you're willing to invest in software and
> infrastructure.  I'll be interested to see if someone recommends an
> inexpensive MRP package here as well.
>
> I had a survey article that I may be able to retrieve.  email me if you're
> interested.
>
> Regards,

You make it sound so simple. I have found that the parts procurement
process is the single most difficult part of running a company. I am
planning on bringing an assitant on board to perform the office duties
and will train for procurement. But this is not an easy process. The big
problem has to do with the multiple part numbers and suppliers for each
line item we need. Then all of the orders have to be tracked and with
lead times of up to 12 weeks for some parts, it becomes a lot of work to
make sure that all the parts will be in by the scheduled manufacturing
start date. For just three small boards, I have 100 different passive
components and 50 active ones. This also includes mechanical components
and the PCBs.

I am not trying to be rude, but if you don't see the difficulty of
procurement, it is likely that you are not doing it. Or maybe I am just
not doing it right... I know that I have a new found respect for buyers!

If you have some info on this process, I would love to read it. Let me
know!

--

Rick Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com

remove the XY to email me.

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design

Arius
4 King Ave
Frederick, MD 21701-3110
301-682-7772 Voice
301-682-7666 FAX

Internet URL http://www.arius.com
Article: 20852
Maybe you should consider finding a turnkey manufacturer.

Rickman wrote:

> Fred Marshall wrote:
> >
> > Rickman,
> >
> > Saying QuickBooks (which is what I use) and MRP / integrated capabilities
> > seems quite a stretch when you consider the price of the packages.  If
> > you're just starting out, what's really wrong with simply buying in two
> > categories:
> > 1) reeled parts that come in relatively large quantities but aren't cost
> > drivers.
> > 2) all the others that you'll probably buy for each production lot.
> >
> > Just buy them off the BOM.  It's not that big a deal.
> >
> > If you really want to be prepared to be a much bigger company then you'll
> > probably be investing in all sorts of infrastructure around the MRP system.
> >
> > It all revolves around how much you're willing to invest in software and
> > infrastructure.  I'll be interested to see if someone recommends an
> > inexpensive MRP package here as well.
> >
> > I had a survey article that I may be able to retrieve.  email me if you're
> > interested.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> You make it sound so simple. I have found that the parts procurement
> process is the single most difficult part of running a company. I am
> planning on bringing an assitant on board to perform the office duties
> and will train for procurement. But this is not an easy process. The big
> problem has to do with the multiple part numbers and suppliers for each
> line item we need. Then all of the orders have to be tracked and with
> lead times of up to 12 weeks for some parts, it becomes a lot of work to
> make sure that all the parts will be in by the scheduled manufacturing
> start date. For just three small boards, I have 100 different passive
> components and 50 active ones. This also includes mechanical components
> and the PCBs.
>
> I am not trying to be rude, but if you don't see the difficulty of
> procurement, it is likely that you are not doing it. Or maybe I am just
> not doing it right... I know that I have a new found respect for buyers!
>
> If you have some info on this process, I would love to read it. Let me
> know!
>
> --
>
> Rick Collins
>
> rick.collins@XYarius.com