Subject: Re: CRC calculation
From: eml@riverside-machines.com.NOSPAM
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:34:47 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:35:31 +0100, "Brendan Lynskey"
<brendan.lynskey@pace.co.uk> wrote:

>In the ATA spec., (for IDE hard disk drives), a parallel implementation of a
>simple CRC generator polynomial is given.
>
>Does anyone out there know how the serial->parallel conversion is done?
>
>Cheers,
>
>    Bren

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you mean 'how do you convert a
serial CRC algorithm into a parallel one', then it's pretty
straightforward. If you imagine that you have a, say, 16-bit serial
generator, and then shift in, say, 8 bits, you can derive a function
for the new value of the generator after the 8 bits have been shifted
in. You have 16 functions, one for each generator bit, and you just
implement all these in parallel, so that you get the result after one
clock instead of 8. I think I've got a couple of references somewhere
if it would be useful. Easics has a tool which does it automatically
for you (http://www.easics.com/webtools/crctool).

Evan

Article: 26376