Subject: Re: Impact with Linux Kernel 2.6.x
From: Hein Roehrig <usenet@hein.roehrig.name>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:36:56 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Joerg Ritter <ritter@informatik.uni-halle.de> writes:

> the compilation of the kernel module windrv6.ko under kernel 2.6.x
> using the distribution SuSE 9.2 fails.
> Here are my steps to get it work: [...]
> Maybe you should add this to the description of Hein Roehrig.

Thanks, I updated
<http://www.fpga.de/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=XilinxSoftwareLinux>

-Hein

Article: 78901
Subject: Re: second flop in asyn reset distribution
From: hmurray@suespammers.org (Hal Murray)
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:03:23 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
>My questions is -
>What happens if the second flop (int_reset_l[1]) goes metastable  or
>if it cannot then why?

You don't have to worry about the leading edge of reset making
the second FF go metastable.  That case is cleanly asynchronous.
The rest of the FSM might go metastable, but that will only last
one clock.  The next cycle will fix things up.  (More likely
is a bogus state because of setup timings not reaching all
FFs at the same time - simple timing violation.)

You do have to worry about what happens during that clock.
Most of the time, the next step downstream will recover.
It might be more complicated than that in safety critical
applications.

On the trailing edge of reset, you don't have to worry about
metastability since the second FF is going from 0 to 0.
The first FF might go metastable.  You do have to make sure
there is enough time on the clock between the first and
second FFs to cover that case.  You can't get it perfect,
just good enough for your application.