Subject: Re: Virtex II multiplier question
From: Kolja Sulimma <kolja@sulimma.de>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:37:48 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

> I was thinking of perhaps sacrificing a bit of precision by limiting
> filter coeffs to 18 bits, and then the FIR stage consists of a 24x18
> multiplier / adder, which could then be realised by a 18x18 cascaded
> with several 9x9's to get a 27x18 mult, and ignoring the last 3
> bits...

A 18x18 multiplier plus 6 adders would also give you a 24x18 multiplier.
But the ca. 150 extra LUTs per multiplier is just a little more than there
is available in a XC2V150.

But they are a lot faster than the hardware multipliers, so maybe you coud
double pump the adders ;-)

Kolja Sulimma

Article: 32151