Subject: Re: Cyclone power up problem
From: Jim Granville <jim.granville@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:30:51 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Greg Steinke wrote:

> "Martin Schoeberl" <martin.schoeberl@chello.at> wrote in message news:<TP5aa.79536$AV5.998926@news.chello.at>...
> > I've built a board with the Cyclone from Altera. First board was ok, but on
> > some of the following there was a problem with startup of the Cyclon.
> >
> > For the core voltage (1.5V) I use a drop-down regulator from Linear
> > Technology (LTC3405) as described in the app. note (AN257). But the core
> > voltage did not reach the 1.5V. The regulator stopped at 0.5 - 0.8 V. I
> > examined the problem by building an extern regulator.
> >
> > Starting the regulator without load and than attaching the VCCINT pins from
> > the FPGA leads to a successfull start. The output capacitor (4u7) supplies
> > enough initial current.
> >
> > Measuring the current during startup yields to following results:
> > First few us the Cyclone needs about 0.7A! Falling down to 200 mA and
> > staying there for about 15 us (I think for internal startup). After that it
> > dropps to a few mA.
> > The LCT3405 is a 300 mA regulator with a peak current of about 650 mA. It
> > can not deliver this peak current during it's own start.
> >
> > Just wanted to tell this story (of hidden problems of a new family) for
> > others who want to work with this new (still exciting) FPGAs to not run into
> > the same troubles.
> >
> > Martin Schoeberl
>
> Martin,
> The highest power-up current requirement that we have characterized
> for the Cyclone family is 420 mA. This is more than the LTC3405 can
> supply, and we are modifying AN257 accordingly. Also, we will document
> the requirement for power-up current in the Cyclone datasheet.

 Can you also include an appx model of the effect, and some
scope plots of both Icc and Vcc, for various dV/dT's ?
- that would help designers avoid this on the first pass.

 Austin Lesa also suggested the lowest temp is not always the highest
Icc
point ( currently their data sheets suggest -40..-0'C is the worst
corner)
 - can you add notes on temp corners for Altera devices.

> I'm not sure why you are seeing more current than we saw - in some cases the
> decoupling caps can also take some transient current as they charge
> up, but I would not think that this would be 300 mA.

Cap transients can be > 300mA, but they have a different curve shape.
eg Switching 5uF into 1uF of distributed decoupling should give an
'instant' step to 5/6th of 5uF voltage, and then a recovery from there.