Site Home   Archive Home   FAQ Home   How to search the Archive   How to Navigate the Archive   
Compare FPGA features and resources   

Threads starting:
1994JulAugSepOctNovDec1994
1995JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1995
1996JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1996
1997JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1997
1998JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1998
1999JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1999
2000JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2000
2001JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2001
2002JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2002
2003JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2003
2004JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2004
2005JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2005
2006JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2006
2007JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2007
2008JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2008
2009JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2009
2010JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2010
2011JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2011
2012JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2012
2013JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2013
2014JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2014
2015JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2015
2016JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2016
2017JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2017
2018JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2018
2019JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2019
2020JanFebMarAprMay2020

Authors:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Custom Search

Messages from 60500

Article: 60500
Subject: Re: Xilinx S3 I/O robustness question
From: Eric Crabill <eric.crabill@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:52:59 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Hello,

There seems to be a great deal of interest on this topic.

I can tell you what I believe to be the case, and I invite
others from Xilinx to correct what I write here, if I make
any errors.  Most of this I have learned from others.  As
I do not specify or guarantee device behavior, the device
datasheet takes precedence over anything I might say...

In devices like V2Pro and S3, the maximum allowed voltages
(both positive and negative) on the I/O pins form a smaller
window than in some previous families.  In the I/O itself,
there are structures that experience a "stress" that is:

* Pin voltage above GND.
* Pin voltage below VCCO.

When you are using a VCCO of 3.3 volts, you must be diligent
in your board design so that you do not have big reflections
from signal integrity problems.  If you have severe reflections
when using a VCCO of 3.3 volts, you can possibly exceed the
maximum ratings of the device.  Yes, there are diode clamps
on the pin, to both VCCO and GND, but with a VCCO of 3.3v,
the clamps will allow the voltage to rise above the maximum
rating of the device when VCCO is 3.3 volts.

So, when using a VCCO of 3.3v, it is a wise idea to simulate
the I/O you are using, along with your board, to make sure
you are operating the device within the maximum ratings.  I
think this homework is worthwhile, even in other cases.

If IBIS models aren't your thing, and you can't be bothered
with them, you can read XAPP659 for pre-engineered solutions.

> What about busses, like PCI, where the driver might be in
> the middle so the effective line impedance is half of the
> nominal 50 ohms.

This is discussed in detail in XAPP653.  You use a VCCO of
3.0 volts.  It works, is PCI compliant (even if the PCI
bus voltage VIO, which is an independent supply, rises as
high as 3.6 volts -- which is allowed).  Xilinx has verified
this in hardware.  The concept is that lowering VCCO to 3.0v
reduces the "stress" applied:

* (Pin voltage above GND) by clamp diode to VCCO = 3.0v.
* (Pin voltage below VCCO) by reduced VCCO = 3.0v.

An added benefit of our I/O design is that all programmable
I/O are identical, so you won't find yourself forced into a
larger part if (for example) you need more PCI capable I/O.

It is unfortunate that someone (incorrectly) suggested the
device I/O is not "robust".  It is robust, and guaranteed
by Xilinx, when you use it as directed in the FPGA device
datasheet.

Hope that helps,
Eric

Article: 60501
Subject: Re: WebPack - mixed design flow
From: Steve Lass <lass@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:13:03 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
ISE version 6.1i supports mixed language flows.  ISE Foundation is 
available now.  ISE WebPACK will
be ready by the end of this month.

Valentin Tihomirov wrote:

>My system has netlist in EDIF while some of technology elements used in the
>netlist are
>described in a separate VHDL file at logic level. WebPack supports only pure
>EDIF, schematic, Verilog or VHDL design flows. Is ther a way to compile a
>mixed design?
>That is, I first elaborate VHDL and then load EDIF netlist which uses VHDL
>components.
>
>May be ISE Foundation supports this?
>
>
>  
>


Article: 60502
Subject: Re: Downloading into XCV600 FPGA using PCI
From: "Steve Casselman" <sc_nospam@vcc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:55:10 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
> It means that inside the FPGA in evertying clock cycle the value the

Or you are not waiting long enough. Another way to do this is to do some
polling. Set a flag at some read address and drive bit0 to a one when you
are ready to transfer data.

Steve



Article: 60503
Subject: Re: need help with Xilinx ISE 4.2i software
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:08:46 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>


Neeraj Varma wrote:

>FPGA express is obsolete (Xilinx removed it and Synopsys also does not have
>it)...and I doubt there is anything anyone could do to setup the license
>again (I may be wrong though...)
>
>If you are using any of the devices supported by the Xilinx Webpack (All
>CPLDs, All Spartan-II, All Spartan-IIe except 400e and 600e, XCV50E-XCV300E,
>XC2V40-XC2V250, XC2VP2, 3S50, 3S200, 3S400) you can use the XST tool for
>synthesis. Webpack can be downloaded free from downloads page of
>support.xilinx.com
>  
>
Well, that's the problem!  I'm using 5V original Spartan chips, and need 
them
for voltage compatibility.  I suppose I could look into using later 
Spartans with
some sort of logic level converter.  The lower price of the newer (and 
smaller
die) Spartan-II and such could easily pay for the converting circuits. 
 But, I don't
really want to redesign the boards on a current product.  It bugs me 
they don't support
the old Spartan.  All it would require is a few data files, it seems.

I have the software working on an old (retired) computer, but the 
license is locked to the
hard drive serial number, and I can't move it to my current machine.

Jon


Article: 60504
Subject: fpga +cpu + wireless
From: Srikanth Anumalla <srikanth@unlserve.unl.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:01:17 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi

I am quite new in this field, Please excuse me if I talk something 
nonsence. I have 10 pressure sensors which measure pressure in 10 
different points in a field. I need to aggregate all these values in 
realtime and send to a remote computer.For this, somebody suggested me 
to use fpga, I made little research and found out that we can actually 
run an some programs on fpga. I have this idea now, to build an fpga 
board which can read data from the sensor and send that data to a 
central computer in the field over a wireless network. and I will have 
an fpga at each sensor. CEntral computer will aggregate the data and 
send to a remote location via phone line etc. For this to be realized I 
have to know whether an fpga is capable of collecting date from a sensor 
and send the same data over a wireless network. Please give me pointers 
on this . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Srikanth


Article: 60505
Subject: Re: USB transceiver for FPGA
From: "Colin Jackson" <jacksoncolin@fake_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:26:24 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I'm working on a project with USB to a XILINX FPGA.
The interface chip I'm going with is Phillips ISP-1501
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/cgi-bin/pldb/pip/isp1501

Good Luck,
Colin

"jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com> wrote in message
news:bk4g4g$j0f$1@news.storm.ca...
> Hi,
>
>  I am looking for an USB transceiver chip that can be interfaced to an
> FPGA WITHOUT microcontroller. USB 2.0 would be ideal, 1.1 is also ok.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> ---
> jakab
>
>



Article: 60506
Subject: Re: What are Pull ups?
From: Chen Wei Tseng <chenwei.tseng@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:50:43 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rider,

See inline.

Regards, Wei
> 1)What is meant by optional pull ups? There are options in the
> Constraints Editor to insert pull ups at the I/Os. Are these PERMANENT
> pull ups or just during configuration? If I select these pull ups,
> then i also need to set M2M1M0=100 ?
The pullup that you set in constraints editor is a post-config setting only.
http://toolbox.xilinx.com/docsan/xilinx6/books/data/docs/lib/lib0338_306.html
> 2)Alternatively if i DO NOT select those pull ups in the Constraints
> editor, but i still set M2M1M0=100 then what will happen? Pull ups
> will be used for configuration only?
See above
> 3) Do i need to connect all my VCCO pins  to 3.3V and VCCINT to 2.5V?
> All GND pins on the pacakge be grounded?
Solution 17240
http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=17240
> 4)If I use one clock signal in my design, then it can be input on only
> one IGCKO(input global clock buffer) or i need to connect all IGCK's
> to this clk signal?
As long as clock region rule is not violated. Check datasheet for more 
info.
http://support.xilinx.com/xlnx/xil_ans_display.jsp?iLanguageID=1&iCountryID=1&getPagePath=172401
> Regards
> Rider



Article: 60507
Subject: Re: need help with Xilinx ISE 4.2i software
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:09:41 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jon Elson wrote:
> 
> Neeraj Varma wrote:
> 
> >FPGA express is obsolete (Xilinx removed it and Synopsys also does not have
> >it)...and I doubt there is anything anyone could do to setup the license
> >again (I may be wrong though...)
> >
> >If you are using any of the devices supported by the Xilinx Webpack (All
> >CPLDs, All Spartan-II, All Spartan-IIe except 400e and 600e, XCV50E-XCV300E,
> >XC2V40-XC2V250, XC2VP2, 3S50, 3S200, 3S400) you can use the XST tool for
> >synthesis. Webpack can be downloaded free from downloads page of
> >support.xilinx.com
> >
> >
> Well, that's the problem!  I'm using 5V original Spartan chips, and need
> them
> for voltage compatibility.  I suppose I could look into using later
> Spartans with
> some sort of logic level converter.  The lower price of the newer (and
> smaller
> die) Spartan-II and such could easily pay for the converting circuits.
>  But, I don't
> really want to redesign the boards on a current product.  It bugs me
> they don't support
> the old Spartan.  All it would require is a few data files, it seems.
> 
> I have the software working on an old (retired) computer, but the
> license is locked to the
> hard drive serial number, and I can't move it to my current machine.
> 
> Jon

There is help for this.  Whenever I install a new hard drive in a
machine, I give it the same serial number as all the others.  Then I can
use my license on any hard drive I happen to use.  Since I swap out hard
drives as a backup means, this is essential.  

If you need info on changing your hard drive serial number, there is a
program available for that (as long as you are running a FAT drive and
not NTFS).  Or I can send you instructions for doing this manually using
the old DOS DEBUG commands.  

-- 

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY
removed.

Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company
Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110                 301-682-7666 FAX

Article: 60508
Subject: Re: USB transceiver for FPGA
From: "jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:04:18 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
I have looked at that one some time ago but there was a message on
the Philips website that the chip is going obsolete and that scared me
away...
I tried to confirm with the Philips rep. here in Ottawa,Canada but
all I got to talk to was an answering machine!. Did you manage to get an
eval board for it?
---
jakab
"Colin Jackson" <jacksoncolin@fake_yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1sOdnZlEhZ77j_uiU-KYuA@comcast.com...
> I'm working on a project with USB to a XILINX FPGA.
> The interface chip I'm going with is Phillips ISP-1501
> http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/cgi-bin/pldb/pip/isp1501
>
> Good Luck,
> Colin
>
> "jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com> wrote in message
> news:bk4g4g$j0f$1@news.storm.ca...
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I am looking for an USB transceiver chip that can be interfaced to an
> > FPGA WITHOUT microcontroller. USB 2.0 would be ideal, 1.1 is also ok.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ---
> > jakab
> >
> >
>
>



Article: 60509
Subject: Re: USB transceiver for FPGA
From: "jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:07:22 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like they also have USB 2.0 chip,
the board you have looks interesting too. I will search a bit more before
deciding.
---
jakab
"Nial Stewart" <nial@spamno.nialstewart.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3f65cb6d$0$10961$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk...
> jakab tanko <jtanko@ics-ltd.com> wrote in message
> news:bk4g4g$j0f$1@news.storm.ca...
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I am looking for an USB transceiver chip that can be interfaced to an
> > FPGA WITHOUT microcontroller. USB 2.0 would be ideal, 1.1 is also ok.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> The FTDI 245BM sounds like what you want (although it's only 1.1).
>
> See..
>
> http://www.ftdichip.com/
>
> ..for details.
>
> I've a board based on this I built for my own use (see under
> downloads on my web site). I've a couple sitting here that
> someone said they wanted but money hasn't been forthcoming.
>
> Yours for 30 each if you want one/both for prototyping.
>
> See my downloads page for details of an example project showing
> how to drive it, it's relatively easy.
>
>
> Nial Stewart
>
> ------------------------------------------------
> Nial Stewart Developments Ltd
> FPGA and High Speed Digital Design
> www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk
>
>
>



Article: 60510
Subject: Re: Paging Peter Alfke (3S1000 pricing)
From: Peter Alfke <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:34:09 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Here is the answer I got from marketing:
"As we make devices cheaper we optimize all of the backend steps
(Assembly, Sort, FinalTest, Shipping quantities, Stocking, Distribution
Stocking). All of these rely on having large volume . Consequently,
Spartan lower-volume pricing is comparatively higher than is common in
the industry. 
In this instance however the  customer is also using an expensive
package as opposed to a cheaper FG256 package, which makes the
difference seem even larger. An FG256 would be a lot cheaper. However he
has to get a quote from his regular channel."

I hope this explains the surprising difference between $85 and the
projected $20. 
It's due to relatively low volume and the choice of an expensive package.
Peter Alfke
============================
Peter Alfke wrote:
> 
> Pete, I have forwarded your e-mail to our marketing group. Let's see
> what they say.
> I do not have to explain to you that late 2004, slowest speed grade,
> plus high volume are the parameters that get you the lowest price. Let's
> hear it from Marketing...
> Peter
> =================
> Pete Fraser wrote:
> >
> > You mentioned in a recent thread that the 3S1000 would sell
> > for $20 in CY2004 in the slowest speed grade and large
> > quantities.
> >
> > I was recently quoted $85.65 for XC3S1000-4FG676C
> > in 5000s for CY2004. Is there really such a huge difference
> > between 5000 piece prices and "large quantities"?
> >
> > I ended up going with an off-the-shelf solution as being more
> > cost-effective, but a $35 ish price might have made for
> > a different decision.

Article: 60511
Subject: Re: Reconfiguration standards
From: Neil Glenn Jacobson <neil.jacobson@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:07:41 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Please investigate IEEE STD 1532 (IEEE Standard for Boundary-Scan-based 
In System Configuration of Programmable Devices) to see if that 
satisfies your needs.  It is supported by all major programmable logic 
vendors.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1532/index.html

Valentin Tihomirov wrote:
> My university task involves use of reconfigurable logic. I need to automate
> re-configuration
> and organize data transfers between PC and FPGA. The netlist to be
> downloaded into FPGA is described in EDIF file (I can have it as VHDL or
> Verilog as well). I was recommended to use WebPack and TCL scripting for
> automatic compilation. However, I want not to restrict my system with the
> compiler/Xilinx FPGAs. I want my system to be as universal as possible.
> 
> I want to let user to choose any off-the-shelf FPGA depending on its
> requirements and financial opportunities. This also means that I want to use
> existing HW(pci, isa, rs232, etc.) and SW (driver) interfaces. Are there any
> existing re-configurable industry standards (cards, HW/SW interfaces) I can
> relay on? An alternative would be to create a level of abstraction from the
> board.
> 
> 
> 
> 


Article: 60512
Subject: Re: fpga +cpu + wireless
From: Jan Panteltje <panteltje@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:29:18 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On a sunny day (Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:01:17 -0500) it happened Srikanth Anumalla
<srikanth@unlserve.unl.edu> wrote in <bk523v$355$1@unlnews.unl.edu>:

>Hi
>
>I am quite new in this field, Please excuse me if I talk something 
>nonsence. I have 10 pressure sensors which measure pressure in 10 
>different points in a field. I need to aggregate all these values in 
>realtime and send to a remote computer.For this, somebody suggested me 
>to use fpga, I made little research and found out that we can actually 
>run an some programs on fpga. I have this idea now, to build an fpga 
>board which can read data from the sensor and send that data to a 
>central computer in the field over a wireless network. and I will have 
>an fpga at each sensor. CEntral computer will aggregate the data and 
>send to a remote location via phone line etc. For this to be realized I 
>have to know whether an fpga is capable of collecting date from a sensor 
>and send the same data over a wireless network. Please give me pointers 
>on this . Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Srikanth
>
>
If your pressure sensors have analog output, then why use FPGA?
Use a PIC micro with build in AD and 4 channel input mux.
3 of these or one with an external mux, use the serial port of the PIC
or make your own protocol or whatever.
12F675 is only 8 pins DIL, has a 10 bits AD with 4 input mux, internal oscillator,
costs 2 dollars, so 4 of these set you back 8 dollars and the microchip tools are
free from www.microchip.com
Why use FPGA?

Article: 60513
Subject: Re: FPGA start?
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:26:44 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The Shortwave radio design I refer to on my website uses a 100K gate Spartan
(http://www.andraka.com). Not so long ago, 200K gates was considered an
enormous device.  At that time (about 6 years ago), I was using mostly 25K gate
XC4025E's and doing some pretty sophisticated signal processing with 3 or four
of them on a board.  With that in mind, 200K gates should be ample for what you
intend.

bobi wrote:

> I want to start with Xilinx FPGA's. How does one start cheap? I see a
> development kit from Digilent for $99 US.
> It is for a Spartan IIE. But then I see there is a Spartan III but no
> development kit for this.
>
> What are the options. Can the Spartan IIE 200K gate do a lot of designs. Is
> that enough gates?
>
> --
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Bobi Mageroski
> Practel Pty. Ltd.
>
> Tel:   61 2 9957 1797
> Fax:  61 2 9957 2892
>
> e-mail: bobi.mageroski@practel.com.au
> www.practel.com.au
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> Important Notice:
> This email is for the named recipient only.  Its contents are confidential.
> If you are not the authorised recipient you must not use, disclose or copy
> any of these contents. If you receive this email in error please contact us
> immediately and delete the email from your system.
> -----------------------------------------------------------------

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
email ray@andraka.com
http://www.andraka.com

 "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
  temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759



Article: 60514
Subject: Re: fft size in fpga
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:35:23 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
It very heavily depends on your implementation.  The fact that it is
radix2 and
not radix 4 or higher tells me already that your implementation is not a
very
efficient one.  A radix 4 kernel is very little added complexity over a
radix 2
kernel and cuts the processing time and area considerable.  Depending on
your
speed requirements and your design prowess, you can certainly fit a 128
point
real-only FFT in a much smaller part than a 1M gate part.  As your speed
requirements decrease, you can take advantage of iterative or shared
hardware
to reduce the gate count considerably.  I did a 4096 point design in a
Xilinx
XCV1000 that does the complex transform in 68 us (the floorplan and a
brief
description are on the gallery page on my website).  That one only
occupies
about 40% of the FPGA and includes some floating point stuff as well as
windowing multipliers and some other goodies.  It takes intimate
knowledge
of the FPGA structure and of algorithms to achieve that level of density
(the customer called the design "a work of art"), but even a novice can
achieve a density/performance level of half that design with some
carefully
thought out design.

PJ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am implementing a 128 point real Radix-2 fft, data and coefficient
> widths are 16 bit.
> I am synthezising it for use in an FPGA. However, it is taking a very
> long time to synthesize. (approx 3 days using Leonardo on a 2 GHz
> machine with 512 MByte RAM) I am using a 20K1000 Altera FPGA. The ram
> required by the fft will be internal to the FPGA
>
> Will this design take up all the space on the device. From past
> experience, can someone give me an indication of what area of the
> device the fft will occupy.
>
> Surely if it takes up most of the device, then it will be too big, as
> I have other features to implement in the FPGA also !!
>
> Thank you
> PJ

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
email ray@andraka.com
http://www.andraka.com

 "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
  temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759



Article: 60515
Subject: Re: USB transceiver for FPGA
From: khimbittle@cliftonREMOVEsystems.com (Khim Bittle)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 23:43:07 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:07:22 -0400, "jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like they also have USB 2.0 chip,
>the board you have looks interesting too. I will search a bit more before
>deciding.

Their chip will not run USB2.0 high speed, only full speed. ( I have
been able to get 1 MB/sec max on a real board )  Otherwise it is
great, I have used it on several boards.  They are going to have a
high speed chip but it is at least a year off as it is just in
planning ,  this is a major bummer for my projects.

>---
>jakab
>"Nial Stewart" <nial@spamno.nialstewart.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:3f65cb6d$0$10961$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk...
>> jakab tanko <jtanko@ics-ltd.com> wrote in message
>> news:bk4g4g$j0f$1@news.storm.ca...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >  I am looking for an USB transceiver chip that can be interfaced to an
>> > FPGA WITHOUT microcontroller. USB 2.0 would be ideal, 1.1 is also ok.
>> > Any suggestions?
>>
>> The FTDI 245BM sounds like what you want (although it's only 1.1).
>>
>> See..
>>
>> http://www.ftdichip.com/
>>
>> ..for details.
>>
>> I've a board based on this I built for my own use (see under
>> downloads on my web site). I've a couple sitting here that
>> someone said they wanted but money hasn't been forthcoming.
>>
>> Yours for 30 each if you want one/both for prototyping.
>>
>> See my downloads page for details of an example project showing
>> how to drive it, it's relatively easy.
>>
>>
>> Nial Stewart
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------
>> Nial Stewart Developments Ltd
>> FPGA and High Speed Digital Design
>> www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk
>>
>>
>>
>
>


Article: 60516
Subject: Re: need help with Xilinx ISE 4.2i software
From: Duane Clark <junkmail@junkmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:44:33 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
rickman wrote:
> ...
> If you need info on changing your hard drive serial number, there is a
> program available for that (as long as you are running a FAT drive and
> not NTFS)...  

VolumeID:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml

-- 
My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).


Article: 60517
Subject: Re: DDC design
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:51:03 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
It is pretty straight forward.  See my article in XCell about digital
downcoverters.  There is a link on the publications page of my website to
the paper.

Jan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone point me at a vhdl design for a DDC, Digital Down Convertor,
> in an FPGA. Preferably free.
> It should be a wideband design with up to 10MHz and as low as 100KHz
> bandwidth. Resolution of adc is 14bits.
> Also it should be possible to synthesise it with the Xilinx Webpack.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Jan

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
email ray@andraka.com
http://www.andraka.com

 "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
  temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759



Article: 60518
Subject: Re: Original (5V) Xilinx Spartan ?
From: Ray Andraka <ray@andraka.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:07:02 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Peter,

My understanding was that those pictures were of Xilinx parts.  Of course if
you sample them at a low enough rate, it looks like an unpredictable delay
even if it is not.

Peter Alfke wrote:

> I have a lot of respect for Phil, we are personal friends and have
> worked together for over 20 years. I think he used old TTL pictures.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950
email ray@andraka.com
http://www.andraka.com

 "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
  temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759



Article: 60519
Subject: Re: USB transceiver for FPGA
From: "Kenneth Land" <kland1@neuralog1.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:11:11 -0500
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Have you looked at the USB 1.1 and 2.0 IP Cores at www.opencores.com?

I looked very closely at the 1.1 version and found it took only 6 pins and
$1.75 transceiver chip.

Ken

"jakab tanko" <jtanko@ics-ltd.com> wrote in message
news:bk4g4g$j0f$1@news.storm.ca...
> Hi,
>
>  I am looking for an USB transceiver chip that can be interfaced to an
> FPGA WITHOUT microcontroller. USB 2.0 would be ideal, 1.1 is also ok.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> ---
> jakab
>
>



Article: 60520
Subject: spartan3 pin tables
From: John Williams <jwilliams@itee.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 10:12:09 +1000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi folks,

Does anybody know if there are machine readable versions of the Spartan3 
pin tables, like those that exist for V2 and V2pro?

e.g. http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex2pro/package/2vp7fg456.txt

I've tried extrapolating the naming scheme to make a guess at the url, 
but no luck.

For Xilinx, a quick gripe: I spend a lot of time at the xilinx website, 
accessing it on an almost daily basis, and am a professional researcher. 
  Yet still, I am often unable to navigate to information that I *know* 
is present.  For example, I ended up finding these V2/V2Pro pin tables 
by digging out an old one I'd saved to my hard drive, and doing a google 
search on the file name.

Anyway, enough whinging - how about those S3 pin tables?

Thanks,

John


Article: 60521
Subject: Re: spartan3 pin tables
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:07:23 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
John Williams wrote:
> 
> Hi folks,
> 
> Does anybody know if there are machine readable versions of the Spartan3
> pin tables, like those that exist for V2 and V2pro?
> 
> e.g. http://www.xilinx.com/products/virtex2pro/package/2vp7fg456.txt
> 
> I've tried extrapolating the naming scheme to make a guess at the url,
> but no luck.
> 
> For Xilinx, a quick gripe: I spend a lot of time at the xilinx website,
> accessing it on an almost daily basis, and am a professional researcher.
>   Yet still, I am often unable to navigate to information that I *know*
> is present.  For example, I ended up finding these V2/V2Pro pin tables
> by digging out an old one I'd saved to my hard drive, and doing a google
> search on the file name.
> 
> Anyway, enough whinging - how about those S3 pin tables?

I feel your pain.  Many companies turn data sheet location into an
easter egg hunt.  Xilinx is far better than many and worse than some.  

I just downloaded the pin lists today.  I think I had used a search on
the Xilinx web page for datasheets on "Spartan 3".  It gave me a list of
the four data sheet parts, the complete data sheet (thanks Xilinx) and
both ascii and excel pinouts.  Here is the URL that showed up, I just
happen to still have the page open...

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xweb/xil_publications_display.jsp?category=/Data+Sheets/FPGA+Device+Families/Spartan-3&iLanguageID=1

-- 

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY
removed.

Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company
Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110                 301-682-7666 FAX

Article: 60522
Subject: 'RSVD' pin on V2/V2P
From: Allan Herriman <allan.herriman.hates.spam@ctam.com.au.invalid>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:13:00 +1000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi,

Does anyone know what to do with the pin on V2P called "RSVD"?

I guess I'm meant to leave it open, but I haven't found anything in
the datasheet or the Xilinx answers database that says for sure.

TIA,
Allan.

Article: 60523
Subject: Re: Spartan 3 ICAP primitive
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:15:08 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
John Williams wrote:
> 
> Hi Rick,
> 
> rickman wrote:
> > Looks like I have not done my homework on this.  I had done some
> > research on modular configuration which was what I required.  The
> > Spartan lines seem to be supported for this although they don't yet list
> > the Spartan3 chips.  But I was under the impression that partial
> > configuration was the down load technique to support this in the
> > devices.  I see that only Virtex and Virtex-II are supported by partial
> > configuration.  This is not good.
> 
> Don't panic! the S3 still supports partial reconfiguration - the ICAP
> primitive that Antti and I were talking about is a block that allows the
> partial reconfigruration to be controlled from within the device itself
> ie. self-reconfiguration.
> 
> All the Virtex's and S3 can be partially reconfigured from *outside* the
> device, via SelectMap or slave serial or whatever, either partial or
> total reconfiguration.
> 
> > So why the disconnect on partial configuration Xilinx?  Why not support
> > Spartan-3 devices?
> 
> As I said, it's just the ICAP (internal configuration access port), not
> the partial reconfig capability itself.
> 
> Regards,
> 
> John

I am still in panic mode.  I started digging and found that the Spartan
3 devices are not suitable for modular configuration.  Seems the tbuf is
one of the features in the V2 devices that has been taken out for
"optimization" in the S3.  The tbuf is required for signals that
traverse modules.  

I have exchanged a couple of emails with Xilinx on this and am waiting
for the final word.  But it is looking like the Sparan 3 devices will
not be able to do what I need in any defined timeframe.  

-- 

Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY
removed.

Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company
Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110                 301-682-7666 FAX

Article: 60524
Subject: Re: spartan3 pin tables
From: John Williams <jwilliams@itee.uq.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:41:27 +1000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
rickman wrote:

 > John Williams wrote:

>>Anyway, enough whinging - how about those S3 pin tables?
> 
> 
> I feel your pain.  Many companies turn data sheet location into an
> easter egg hunt.  Xilinx is far better than many and worse than some.  
> 
> I just downloaded the pin lists today.  I think I had used a search on
> the Xilinx web page for datasheets on "Spartan 3".  It gave me a list of
> the four data sheet parts, the complete data sheet (thanks Xilinx) and
> both ascii and excel pinouts.  Here is the URL that showed up, I just
> happen to still have the page open...
> 
> http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xweb/xil_publications_display.jsp?category=/Data+Sheets/FPGA+Device+Families/Spartan-3&iLanguageID=1

Thanks Rick.  For some bizarre reason these pin tables are in a 
different format to those provided for V2 and V2Pro!  But anyway, I'll 
massage them as necessary.

Actually what I'm trying to do is assess how to wire a board that might 
potentially contain any of the fg-456 parts.  There are 3 each of 
spartan3, virtex2 and v2pro devices using the fg456 package.

What I'm trying to achieve is a table that looks like:

pin    2v250      2v500    2v1000 2vp2    2vp4    2vp7   3s1000 ....
A1    GND        GND       GND    ...
A2
...

and so on, so I can look across and determine all common pins between 
parts, and all non-common pins, and go from there.

Kind of like generalising Xilinx's pin compatability tool across the v2, 
v2pro and s3 families..

thanks again,

John




Site Home   Archive Home   FAQ Home   How to search the Archive   How to Navigate the Archive   
Compare FPGA features and resources   

Threads starting:
1994JulAugSepOctNovDec1994
1995JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1995
1996JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1996
1997JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1997
1998JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1998
1999JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec1999
2000JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2000
2001JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2001
2002JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2002
2003JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2003
2004JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2004
2005JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2005
2006JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2006
2007JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2007
2008JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2008
2009JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2009
2010JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2010
2011JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2011
2012JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2012
2013JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2013
2014JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2014
2015JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2015
2016JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2016
2017JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2017
2018JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2018
2019JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec2019
2020JanFebMarAprMay2020

Authors:A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Custom Search