Subject: Re: Replication of FFs in Xilinx XC4000
From: Phil Hays <spampostmaster@home.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 01:50:56 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Rick Collins wrote:

> We are working on a design in an XC4000 about 64K gates and are having a
> problem with register replication. The P$R tool is replicating a FF that
> is the critical element of a cross clock domain synchronizer. I call
> this a "bad thing".
>
> We looked at the Xilinx web site and found Answer #3813. This says that
> PAR can split a net and duplicate the FF driving it. Of course this will
> break a synchronizer, they even mention this. The solution is to use an
> environment variable to control this feature. This seems like a very odd
> way to control the PAR tool! Is there no option that can be set for
> this??? Has anyone else been bitten by this "issue"? Any other
> solutions?
>
> I don't really understand why PAR wants to split this net. The
> synchronizer consists of two FFs on the same clock with an AND gate
> detecting the two FFs being of different values to generate a single
> clock wide pulse. The first FF output feeds only three inputs, yet this
> is the net that was split. Anyone understand why this is happening?

I've been bit by this, with a fanout of two(!).  I did the following:

1) Set the magic word (environment variable).  This alone would probably solve
the problem.

2) Forced the PAR tool to do the correct thing even if the magic word didn't
work:
LOCed the FF to a CLB
LOCed an unrelated FF to the same CLB (repeat for all similar synchronizer FFs)
(I could have RLOCed rather than LOCed for somewhat more reusable code.)
The FF will only be duplicated if the other FF in the CLB is unused.  This alone
would probably solve the problem.

3) Added one more stage to the synchronizer.  With a fanout of 1 the added FF
will not be duplicated.  This alone would probably solve the problem.

4) Verified that these FF were correctly built manually each time before
releasing a bit file.

Yea, this was more than a bit paranoid, but just because I'm paranoid doesn't
mean that something isn't out to get me.

The reason why this happens is that some programmer in X-land added an
optimization to PAR for XC4000's that will add a duplicate FF if any time or
routing resource can be saved.  This is good, if your design has a single
clock.  This is very evil if you have multiple clocks.

--
Phil Hays

Article: 34176