Subject: Re: Generating linker script for Altera desgn
From: "Jon Beniston" <jon@beniston.com>
Date: 6 Jun 2005 06:01:01 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Oh yeah, I think its usually called, generated.x.

Cheers,
Jon

Article: 85151
Subject: Re: 32/16 divider, ASIC(Designware) Vs Xilinx FPGA(Coregen)
From: John_H <johnhandwork@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:18:19 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Did you use the "Pipelined divider" with a setting of 1 result every
clock?  Every 8 clocks?  I saw two versions of Pilelined Divider for the
Core Generator when I did a quick search on the Xilinx website.  There
should be full data sheets there for referencing details.

FPGAs do a decent job with carry chains.  Since that structure is used
often enough, it's pretty decent in speed.  A test I ran a while back
for my own implementation suggested I could get a 16/16 divider running
with about 80 ns in one clock cycle without any constraints in a
Spartan-2E device if I recall correctly.  A faster speed grade Virtex-2
may perform much better.

You *are* dividing by a variable, not a constant, right?

john.deepu@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I wanted to use a 32/16 divider circuit in one of my designs. I found
> Synopsys designware provides Pipelined dividers and decided to use it.
> I synthesised DW-divider and found a 3-stage pipeline required to meet
> my timing requirement of 20MHz(50ns) in TSMC .13u technology.
>
> Since I wanted to FPGA prototyping for my asic, I thought of using Core
> generator divider while synthesising for Xilnx FPGA..
>
> Now the Interesting fact I found is, a 32/16 divider from Xlinx core
> genrator can be synthesised(using XST synthesis)to 150Mhz easily for a
> Virtex-2 (Xc2v2000)FPGA with just one stage pipeline..
>
> At the same time DC-ultra 2004.06-1 is struggling with Designware
> foundation divider for meeting a timing of 20MHz with 3 stage
> pipeline....
>
> I am confused.......... I always thought ASIC synthesis gives more
> frequency for an RTL code...
>
> What I can assume is SYNOPSYS Designware divider is a very bad
> implementation of divider...
>
> Any comments/Clues are welcome..
>

> Thanks
> Deepu John