Subject: Re: Nios II timing question
From: "essay" <sja-pleasenospam-@netlink.com.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:32:19 +1100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

<kempaj@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1109878145.397950.47950@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> > Hi Jesse,
> >
> > Thanks for the quick response. I will try your suggestion to get the
> .ptf
> > going.
> >
> > On that topic, is there an easy way to change the timing requirements
> for
> > the SRAM that is used on the eval board? I use equivalent devices on
> my
> > board, but may want to use slower versions once the design is
> complete. i.e.
> > I would like to keep my sysclk as high as possible, but have the
> option of
> > using slower SRAM. Do I have to create an interface to user defined
> logic to
> > use SRAM that is the same as the eval board, but slower? It would be
> nice if
> > I could change the timing requirements in a .ptf file like we have
> discussed
> > for the LAN91C111.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > sja
>
> Hi sja,
>
> Well the intent with the product is to have you create an interface via
> the Component Editor (new SOPC Builder 4.2 feature), or previously, the
> "Interface to User Logic". Both of these tools allow you to specify
> which signals you want to export to the outside world, which are shared
> if using a tri-state bus, setup/wait/hold timing, etc.
>
> However if you're the adventurous sort, then as you've seen modifying
> the source files is another option (the component editor/interface to
> user logic basically creates similar files for you). In the case of the
> SRAM components in the Nios II dev kit, the timing figures in the
> class.ptf file are actually over-written by a perl script (mk_sram.pl),
> same folder as the class.ptf for those components, which is run at
> system-generation time. The reason behind this is that it allowed us to
> fine-tune SRAM timing depending on your system's clock speed... the
> script source is pretty easy to follow. If you take this route, I would
> save your changes in a separate component folder with separate 'class'
> name in the class.ptf file & separate entries in the SOPC Builder GUI
> (also in the class.ptf), that way your custom SRAM will show up
> independent of the one for the dev. kit...again though, that is what
> the Component Editor is for.
>
> Jesse Kempa
> Altera Corp.
> jkempa at altera dot com

Hi Jesse,

Thanks again for the quick response. I'll have a look at the perl script,
but it sounds like the Component Editor is the way to go.

You have been most helpful.

sja

Article: 80326
Subject: Re: making an fpga hot - addendum
From: "Peter Alfke" <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2005 15:43:22 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Internal contention creates local currents that are higher than normal,
and - in some situations- can overstress the transistors or the
interconnect. Metal migration used to be a concern, but is far less so
with copper metal today.
Anyhow, it is always scary to exercise something that was not meant to
be exercised, especially when you have a couple of hundred million of
these things on a chip.
Why risk anything? Life is too short and too precious to worry about
things that are avoidable...