Subject: Re: systemC vs VHDL
From: Mike Treseler <mike_treseler@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:07:07 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
TôF wrote:
> I'm learning two ways of describing a system .... Either by using
> systemC and the other way, VHDL !
> What are the differences, the real advantages of one compared to the
> other ?

Heres a code comparison.
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~ksewell/research/systemc/comparison.htm

If you already know C++ systemC might be easier
to learn for simulation models.

If you are interested in synthesis,
or if you don't know either language
vhdl might be a better choice.
SystemC synthesis does a conversion
to vhdl (or verilog) in any case,
so it might be a good idea to learn both.

        -Mike Treseler

Article: 92501
Subject: Re: async fifo design
From: michaeldre@gmx.de (Michael Dreschmann)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:07:19 GMT

>It's an asynchronous signal going into your state machine.
>All the classic things can go wrong.  The complicated one is
>metastability.  The simple one is that it meets setup for
>some parts of your FSM but not for others.

Ah ok, I forgot that the signal can be used at some different places
with different setup times.
Thanks, I hope everything is clear now.

Michael

Article: 92502