Subject: Re: Altium FPGA board
From: "Chuck McManis" <devnull@mcmanis.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 02:59:40 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Rene Tschaggelar" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:40b323b8$0$700$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch...
> Chuck McManis wrote:
> > Bringing it back on topic...
> >
> > Have you played with the FPSLIC stuff? AVR core plus FPGA? I've got the
> > development board as I was looking at some sort of custome baseboard
> > controller (SMBus, i2c, etc) and it looks great but Atmel doesn't seem
> > particularly committed to it ...
>
> As said, I had no gain in putting any core into an FPGA yet. While using
> a standalone cpu let you select between a bunch of compilers, they
> somehow vanish when you put a core into an FPGA.
> BTW, what does an I2C or SMB, that cannot be done with some port pins ?

You mis-read what I typed. The FPSLIC system embeds a "real" ATMEL AVR core
inside an FPGA fabric. All the ATMEL compilers work as you'd expect, all the
peripherals are on the expected pins, except that the pins go into the FPGA
fabric where you can either route them to an "off chip" I/O (using them then
like you would normally) or to some device you've cons'd up inside the FPGA.

Imagine a multichip module where the FPGA and the microprocessor are on the
same subtrate.

--Chuck

Article: 69976