Subject: Re: Please help with CRC hardware implementation - crcgen.zip (0/1)
From: psi@io.NoSubdomain.NoDomain (Peter Sinander)
Date: 8 May 1996 16:21:03 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <318faf7f.561663@news.dial.pipex.com>, peter@kksystems.com writes:

|> I am working on an ASIC, and I need a hardware implementation of the
|> standard CCITT CRC algorithm: x^16+x^12+x^5+1 as used in floppy disk
|> controllers.

And for CCSDS Packet Telecommand and Packet Telemetry for spcaecraft communication.
The code below has been used for one flight design, but as usual no guarantees
that it works.

Good luck,

Peter Sinander                                  psi@ws.estec.esa.nl
Microelectronics and Technology section (WSM)   http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww
European Space Agency                           Phone: +31-71-565 33 67
European Space Research & Technology Centre     Fax:   +31-71-565 42 95

-- CRCGen(RTL)
--
-- File name : crcgensyn.vhdl
-- Purpose   : Generates CRC for serial outputs

-- USE Work.SynDef.ALL;   Probably not needed for this design unit

ENTITY CRCGen IS
   PORT (Clk:       IN  Bit;              -- System clock
         Reset_N:   IN  Bit;              -- Master async reset
         iSyncMark: IN  Bit;              -- Init CRC register when '1'
         OutputCRC: IN  Bit;              -- Output CRC when '1'
         DataOut:   IN  Bit;              -- Data to be CRCed

         CRCOut:    OUT Bit);             -- CRC output
END CRCGen;

ARCHITECTURE RTL OF CRCGen IS
   SIGNAL GateA:  Bit;
   SIGNAL Shift4: Bit_Vector(0 TO 3);
   SIGNAL Shift5: Bit_Vector(0 TO 4);
   SIGNAL Shift7: Bit_Vector(0 TO 6);
BEGIN

   -- XORs last bit of CRC reg with data, is zero when CRC output
   GateA <= DataOut XOR Shift4(0) WHEN OutputCRC = '0' ELSE '0';

   -- 16 bit CRC shift register with XORs to implement the CRC polynomial,
   -- x16 + x12 + x5 + 1
   Shft5: PROCESS(Clk, Reset_N)                   -- First 5 bits of CRC reg
   BEGIN
      IF Reset_N = '0' THEN                       -- Master async reset
         Shift5 <= "00000";
      ELSIF Clk'Event AND Clk = '0' THEN
         IF iSyncMark = '1' THEN
            Shift5 <= CRCInit(11 TO 15);          -- Init CRC register
         ELSE
            Shift5 <= Shift5(1 TO 4) & GateA;     -- Shift in XORed bit
         END IF;
      END IF;
   END PROCESS Shft5;

   Shft7: PROCESS(Clk, Reset_N)                   -- Next 7 bits of CRC reg
   BEGIN
      IF Reset_N = '0' THEN                       -- Master async reset
         Shift7 <= "0000000";

      ELSIF Clk'Event AND Clk = '0' THEN
         IF iSyncMark = '1' THEN
            Shift7 <= CRCInit(4 TO 10);           -- Init CRC register
 t        ELSE
            -- Shift in XORed bit
            Shift7 <= Shift7(1 TO 6) & (Shift5(0) XOR GateA);
         END IF;
      END IF;
   END PROCESS Shft7;

   Shft4: PROCESS(Clk, Reset_N)                   -- Last 4 bits of CRC reg
   BEGIN
      IF Reset_N = '0' THEN                       -- Master async reset
         Shift4 <= "0000";
      ELSIF Clk'Event AND Clk = '0' THEN
         IF iSyncMark = '1' THEN
            Shift4 <= CRCInit(0 TO 3);            -- Init CRC register
         ELSE
            -- Shift in XORed bit
            Shift4 <= Shift4(1 TO 3) & (Shift7(0) XOR GateA);
         END IF;
      END IF;
   END PROCESS Shft4;

   -- Output last bit of CRC register
   CRCOut <= Shift4(0);

END RTL;

--

Peter Sinander                                  psi@wd.estec.esa.nl
Microelectronics and Technology section (WSM)   http://www.estec.esa.nl/wsmwww
European Space Agency                           Phone: +31-71-565 33 67
European Space Research & Technology Centre     Fax:   +31-71-565 42 95

Article: 3276