Subject: Re: PCI Bus Problems
From: wen-king@myri.com (Wen-King Su)
Date: 6 Apr 1997 08:45:26 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In a previous article bwanga@cats.uc*sc.edu (Timothy A. Seufert) writes:
:
;In article <3346C531.335B@emf.net>, blt@emf.net wrote:
:
;>The Xilinx FPGAs use 13 serial-programming pins: m0, m1, m2, cclk,
:>pgm,done,din,dout,init,tdi,tck,tms,tdo. It is worse if you want to
;>load parallel.
:
;tdi, tck, tms, and tdo sound like JTAG test port pins, not serial
:programming pins.
;
:Dunno about Xilinx, but with Altera's FPGAs the pin count for programming
;pins isn't too bad, because you can re-use most of the parallel pins as
:I/O after initialization.
;
:But I do agree that it would be nice to have an FPGA with a PCI interface
;right on the die.  It'd make my life a lot simpler.

FYI, Lucent plans to put a hariwired PCI core on one of their future FPGA.
We are very excited about it because we do a lot of PCI interfaces in
FPGA, and for our need it is not a very easy job.
Article: 6026