Subject: Re: Configure with BIT file
From: fliptron@netcom.com (Philip Freidin)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 04:00:56 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The bit file can not be used directly, because it has a variable length
header at the beginning. After the header, the remaining data is directly
downloadable, so all you need to do is either create a new file with the
header removed, or do what I do: leave the header in there, and the
download routine knows how to skip the header. Here's how:

00  00 09 0F F0  0F F0 0F F0  0F F0 00 00  01 61 00 0D                a
10  73 72 61 6D  74 65 73 74  2E 6E 63 64  00 62 00 0C   sramtest.ncd b
20  34 30 32 38  65 78 68 71  32 34 30 00  63 00 09 39   4028exhq240 c  9
30  38 2F 30 35  2F 32 30 00  64 00 09 31  34 3A 32 31   8/05/20 d  14:21
40  3A 33 36 00  65 00 01 46  43 FF 20 A3  21 1F 5F F7   :36 e  FC   ! _
50  EF DE F7 EF  7D FD EF 7E  F7 EF 7D FD  FB DF B5 FB       }  ~  }

The FF 20 is the real start of the bitstream, so just skip over stuff
till you see this sequence (at byte 49 in my example), then start sending
bits, including the FF 2X .

Remember that the data is shifted from the MSB of each byte in sequence,
so the starting sequence is ALWAYS 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0

Note that the '0' of the '20' is the top nibble of the length code, and
for chips up to XC4044, it is '0'.  For 4052XL, 4062XL, and 4085XL it is
a '1', so look for FF 21

Philip Freidin

In article <6nrb1d$p6n$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com> dfrevele@li.net writes:
>easy question:
>
>I want to configure a single Xilinx from a microprocessor. Can I just download
>the .bit file produced from the implementation tools? I've previously loaded
>multiple daisy-chained Xilinxs from a microprocessor and had to use makeprom
>(promgen) to produce the download file. But for a single device can the .bit
>file be used directly.
>

>Don Frevele
>GEC-Marconi Hazeltine Corp.

>http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp   Create Your Own Free Member Forum