Subject: Re: powerpc in virtex2pro
From: Peter Alfke <palfke@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 16:36:19 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
There are hard cores and soft cores.
Hard cores are specialized silicon areas that implement a fnction very efficiently,
but only the manufacturer ( Xilinx, Altera, etc ) can do that.
Soft macros use the logic fabric ( CLBs etc ), and any user can instantiate them
anywhere. Soft macros consume more silicon area per function, and are slower, but
more flexible. (eg MicroBlaze and Nios)
IMHO, both PowerPC and ARM are too complex to be implemented as soft macros.
Xilinx picked PowerPC as the hard core in Virtex-II Pro, Altera picked ARM for
Excalibur, and, surprisingly enough, no microprocessor at all for Stratix, their
future flagship...

Peter Alfke
===================
Ron Huizen wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Are you saying that putting an ARM core into a Virtex II is not doable,
> or just not practical?  Or are you only talking about the V2 Pro?
>
> ---------
> Ron Huizen
> BittWare
>
> Peter Alfke wrote:
> >
> > "Cyrille de Brébisson" wrote:
> >
> > > In our design we are using an ARM CPU. My question is:
> > > Can we put an ARM in the virtex 2 pro?
> > > Were can I find/buy an ARM cpu core source (or precompiled) file to program
> > > in my FPGA?
> > >

> > Cyrille,
> > the answer to both your questions is: No.
> > The PowerPC in Virtex-II Pro is a "hard" implementation, packing the
> > microprocessor with its caches and MMU into the smallest possible silicon
> > area, <4 square millimeters.
> > What you seem to be looking for is a "soft" implementation, using the
> > programmable logic "fabric".
> > That solution is impractical for something as complex as PowerPC or even ARM.
> > It would take up an unreasonable portion of a large chip, and achieve mediocre
> > performance at best.
> > Xilinx offers a soft microprocessor, called MicroBlaze, especially tuned for
> > efficient implementation in the Virtex architecture. It is not as fast and
> > capable as PowerPC, but uses only ~900 slices.
> > "Half the size and twice the speed of NIOS" is the Xilinx slogan. Please, no
> > flames...
> >
> > Peter Alfke, Xilinx Applications

Article: 41526