Subject: Re: How to get 1.8432 MHz out of 24 MHz with Sparten-3?
From: "John_H" <johnhandwork@mail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:33:12 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"novice" <slimanerechoum@ieee.org> wrote in message
news:ee8b44e.14@webx.sUN8CHnE...
> I would use a 32-bit accumulator (or a dds) clocked at 24MHz with a
constant input of 1.8432*2^32/24. The msb of the output is your clock.
Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

> dsp novice.

First, you're correct.  1.8432*2^32/24 into a 32-bit accumulator works fine.
A straight divide-by-13 is close as well.

If you want the exact average frequency, you can also have a smaller
implementation with more deterministic performance (when you have a 13-clock
cycle versus when you have a 14-clock cycle) by implementing a 48/625 DDS
instead of a 329853488/2^32 DDS.  Rather than using a 32-bit accumulator,
use a 10-bit accumulator and add 48 on most cycles but when the accumulator
overflows, add 48+1024-625=447 for the single cycle instead.  Coded
properly, the only extra resources needed in most FPGAs is the overflow
detect; the two constants are hard-coded and selected with a single bit
within the accumulator logic.

Closer to 50% duty cycle with the MSbit of the accumulator can be achieved
with other tricks.

Article: 80501
Subject: Re: for debugging
From: weingart@cs.ualberta.ca (Tobias Weingartner)
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:35:52 +0000 (UTC)
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
usrdr@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> Also what do you recommend for debugging?

The grey matter between your ears.

--
 [100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax

Article: 80502
Subject: Re: Asynchronous processor !?!
From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 08:02:24 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
> I was amazed by this press release:
>
> http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/2005/news_2005_02_09.htm
>
> Apparently the asynchronous design uses 70% less power compared to its
> synchronous counterpart.
>
> What do you think they mean by an asynchronous processor? I find it
> hard to believe the majority of the circuitry (pipeline, etc) is
> asynchronous.
>
> Will asynch design ever be feasible in FPGAs? I suppose it would
> require a new tool chain and new ways of thinking, but having never
> done it, I have no idea.
>
> Just something that's got me really curious.

It's also got to be the world's largest 8 bit uC :)

  The beauty of Async logic is it self adjusts to Vcc/Temp/Process,
so for what Epson are trying to target, it is quite a good choice.
They can avoid any regulation, and the hot spot that would create.

  The 70% claim is a 'best case' one, and relates to Async vs Vanilla
Sync design. [See an earlier thread here on Async ].

  Std Sync Cmos has to have margins for Vcc, Temp, and Process so
it is not uncomon to find you can 'clock on the bench' much faster
than the design speed.
  If you remove the older 'square box' design, and start to vary Vcc,
Clock, and measure chip core Temp to determine where the two need to
be, you can get closer to the Async powers. This is what Intel/AMD
routinely do now, on their Mobile processors. Typical SMPS chips have
4/5/6 bit DAC inputs, allowing the CPU to request it's own Vcc level.
  PLLs and clock generators are now routine.
- ie you now have std devices to vary CLK, Vcc, and measure Temp.

  In a FPGA, if you wanted to add a process track capability, you could
use std Sync tools, and make deliberate test cell(s), that fail first.
  You then vary Vcc/Clk until those cells just fail, knowing that the
margin in the rest of the design keeps the system operating.
  Sailing close to the wind, of course, but it would maximise battery life.

Subject: Re: state encoding in FSM for simple cases ?
From: "Peter Alfke" <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 11:11:12 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
The basic structure of most FPGAs ( with an abundance of flip-flops)
favors one-hot encoding.
The alleged problem of many illegal states can easily be alleviated
since it is so easy to detect all illegal states, whereas there are no
illegal states in binary encoding. So, in one-hot you know at least
that something went wrong...
Gray is not a real option, since Gray coding only makes sense when the
code sequence is linear, like in a counter. Once you can jump from one
state to either one of several, Gray coding has lost its meaning.
Just my $0.02

Subject: Re: Help with 22v10 and WinCupl :(
From: "Gabor" <gabor@alacron.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 11:11:17 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Stephen Lannard wrote:
> >>Indeed there are examples, but i don't find them too helpful. They
kind of
> >>assume you have an idea of what you're doing and at the moment i
don't.
> >>:(
> >>
> >>I'm new to this and maybe i'm expecting too much of the 22v10.
> >
> > Depends on your likely range of X.....
>
> 12ms will need 12 bits @ 1mhz i think.
> I'll stick with a one shot, seems easier.

I'm pretty sure you need 14 bits to get to 12 milliseconds.  This means
14 macrocells in addition to the one dividing the input clock.  If you
want an exercise in partitioning logic, you can do it in two 22V10's.

> Stephen

Article: 80505
Subject: Surge in S2? ~3 amperes at cold for a millisecond
From: Austin Lesea <austin@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:18:51 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
All,

I promised I'd get back with a scope picture on S2 power on surge on Vccint.

Since I don't get to post graphics here, I will have to ask those
interested to get with their Xilinx FAE to get a scope shot.

If you email me directly, I can send it also (but I might be spammed to
death buy the requests .... but I will honor them if they are not too many).

Basically, the 2S60 (that I tested) has between a 3/4 ampere, and three
ampere surge for a millisecond or less with a 20 ms ramp on time.

Power supply sequence doesn't matter.  Temperature at cold is worse than
temperature at hot, but I have but one part, so I have no idea how that
holds of process.

No surges on any other supply.

The leakage follows the spreadsheet, that is there is a lot of
Iccint(leak) at hot (about one ampere at 70C).  In fact, by specifying
the "turn-on" current required for hot, they are probably able to ignore
the 3 amperes at cold (eg -- if the start up current is equal to or less
than the surge, then they can be honest and claim there is no surge).

I will accept that I may have an early version of silicon, and that Paul
L. correctly stated that what I have seen is fixed in future
tapeouts/silicon, but that remains to be seen as well.  Perhaps someone
with a production device can confirm this is fixed?

Subject: Re: Surge in S2? ~3 amperes at cold for a millisecond
From: Austin Lesea <austin@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:20:28 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Current at cold is worse than current at hot" -- for the surge.

Spelled correctly, making nonsense.

Apologize for the minor goof.

From: Reinhold Schmidt <rschmidt@aon.at>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:33:53 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
> I was amazed by this press release:
>
> http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/2005/news_2005_02_09.htm
>
> Apparently the asynchronous design uses 70% less power compared to its
> synchronous counterpart.
>
> What do you think they mean by an asynchronous processor? I find it
> hard to believe the majority of the circuitry (pipeline, etc) is
> asynchronous.

Hi Peter,

A modern processor is'n synchronous at all! It would be very hard to get
a global clock all over the system (IMHO)

As far as I know is asynchronous design very well suitable for
cryptographic processors, as it is very tough to use DPA or other
methods to analyze it.

Nevertheless it is as far as I know in an experimental phase in
workgroups at universities and large companies (e.g. INfineon).

I am not an expert in such things. Just mentioned what I heard.

Cheers

Reinhold

> Will asynch design ever be feasible in FPGAs? I suppose it would
> require a new tool chain and new ways of thinking, but having never
> done it, I have no idea.
>
> Just something that's got me really curious.
>
> -- Pete

Article: 80508
From: mk<kal*@dspia.*comdelete>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:04:17 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:33:53 +0100, Reinhold Schmidt <rschmidt@aon.at>
wrote:

>Peter Sommerfeld wrote:
>> I was amazed by this press release:
>>
>> http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/2005/news_2005_02_09.htm
>>
>> Apparently the asynchronous design uses 70% less power compared to its
>> synchronous counterpart.
>>
>> What do you think they mean by an asynchronous processor? I find it
>> hard to believe the majority of the circuitry (pipeline, etc) is
>> asynchronous.
>>

>Hi Peter,
>
>A modern processor is'n synchronous at all! It would be very hard to get
>a global clock all over the system (IMHO)

Your second comment is very true; but it doesn't support your first
statement. You should check some of Intel's clock distribution papers
in ISSCC and JSSCC. You would be amazed the lenghts they go to keep
their systems synchronous. It turns out designing a OO, 20 stage
pipeline 4GHz x86 processor is more difficult with an asynchronous
design  methodology.

Article: 80509
Subject: Hierarchical Synchronous Design
From: "morpheus" <saurster@gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 12:09:36 -0800
In a hierarchical synchronous design methodology for FPGAs, is it
reqiured to register the outputs of all the modules in a hierarchy
(starting from the bottom) right upto the top module, or, is it
sufficient to register the outputs of the leaf hierarchical module (the
bottom-most module)?
Thanks
MORPHEUS

Article: 80510
From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:25:41 +1300
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Gabor wrote:

> kind of

> don't.

>>>Depends on your likely range of X.....
>>
>>12ms will need 12 bits @ 1mhz i think.
>>I'll stick with a one shot, seems easier.
>

> I'm pretty sure you need 14 bits to get to 12 milliseconds.  This means
> 14 macrocells in addition to the one dividing the input clock.  If you
> want an exercise in partitioning logic, you can do it in two 22V10's.

14 bits will count up to 16.384 ms, but you need to add one MCell for
the output pulse JK, to get counter -> monostable action. => 15 MCells
Would suit 2 x 22V10, or 1 x ATF750 (same package)

From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 09:32:00 +1300

> The basic structure of most FPGAs ( with an abundance of flip-flops)
> favors one-hot encoding.
> The alleged problem of many illegal states can easily be alleviated
> since it is so easy to detect all illegal states, whereas there are no
> illegal states in binary encoding. So, in one-hot you know at least
> that something went wrong...
> Gray is not a real option, since Gray coding only makes sense when the
> code sequence is linear, like in a counter. Once you can jump from one
> state to either one of several, Gray coding has lost its meaning.

This is broadly correct, but I have coded Gray State engines, where
it is not linear, but there are a very small number of branch choices.

That is because there are a number of Gray solutions, and you have
the freedom to map state-gray.
Too many branches, and it quickly becomes impossible to keep one-bit.

Also, if you are register constrained (CPLDs), you can code in a mix of
Binary and One-Hot/Gray. Use Binary for the 'major' branches, and
Gray for the 'minor' branches.

From: Jim Granville <no.spam@designtools.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:14:44 +1300
> All,
>
> I promised I'd get back with a scope picture on S2 power on surge on
> Vccint.
>
> Since I don't get to post graphics here, I will have to ask those
> interested to get with their Xilinx FAE to get a scope shot.
>
> If you email me directly, I can send it also (but I might be spammed to
> death buy the requests .... but I will honor them if they are not too
> many).

You could give a web link ? [less work for everyone ?]

From: Austin Lesea <austin@xilinx.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:21:00 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Jim,

I am sure I can do that, but I have to go through marketing.  That will
take awhile.  And then, marketing will want to put there imprimatur on it.

I'd prefer to keep it in this forum to give Paula chance to reply (as I
said, I may have early silicon, whose masks may have been modified to
fix this behavior).

Austin

Jim Granville wrote:
> Austin Lesea wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I promised I'd get back with a scope picture on S2 power on surge on
>> Vccint.
>>
>> Since I don't get to post graphics here, I will have to ask those
>> interested to get with their Xilinx FAE to get a scope shot.
>>
>> If you email me directly, I can send it also (but I might be spammed
>> to death buy the requests .... but I will honor them if they are not
>> too many).
>

> You could give a web link ? [less work for everyone ?]
>
> -jg

Article: 80514
From: "Leon Heller" <leon_heller@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:25:04 -0000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
"Peter Sommerfeld" <psommerfeld@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was amazed by this press release:
>
> http://www.epson.co.jp/e/newsroom/2005/news_2005_02_09.htm
>
> Apparently the asynchronous design uses 70% less power compared to its
> synchronous counterpart.
>
> What do you think they mean by an asynchronous processor? I find it
> hard to believe the majority of the circuitry (pipeline, etc) is
> asynchronous.
>
> Will asynch design ever be feasible in FPGAs? I suppose it would
> require a new tool chain and new ways of thinking, but having never
> done it, I have no idea.
>
> Just something that's got me really curious.

ARM is working on one. I think it is based on the Amulet asynchronous
processor developed at Manchester University, as that had an ARM
architecture.

Leon

Article: 80515
Subject: Re: Hierarchical Synchronous Design
From: Mike Treseler <mike_treseler@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:34:42 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
morpheus wrote:
> In a hierarchical synchronous design methodology for FPGAs, is it
> reqiured to register the outputs of all the modules in a hierarchy
> (starting from the bottom) right upto the top module, or, is it
> sufficient to register the outputs of the leaf hierarchical module (the
> bottom-most module)?

The only "requirement" is to meet static timing.
The rest is style.

I prefer registers on all module outputs
as this is how the standard HDL synchronous
templates work. I also prefer to minimize hierarchy.

From: "Peter Alfke" <peter@xilinx.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 13:39:47 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Well, I think there is a difference here.
On the newsgroup we can say:
"Altera Stratix-2 still has the infamous start-up current, even >2A on
a 2S60, and we have measurements to prove it".

But I am not too excited about honoring them with a Xilinx website,
only to have Altera then come back and claim that they finally "have
REALLY" fixed it.

Gentlemen should have some constraint in washing each other's dirty
laundry in public, or call each other "liar" in public, even when it
would be justified, as it is in this case.

I prefer the attitude that
"I am #1, and certain things are below my dignity. Let the other guy
crawl around in the mud, if he enjoys that environment".
But the newsgroup is like a club, where we can be more outspoken and
candid...

Subject: Re: Looking for some rules of thumb - migrating a discrete 74HCxxx
From: Jeremy Stringer <jeremy@_NOSPAM_endace.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:40:05 +1300
> Jeremy,neither of us is a fan of clock gating, but I like to explore
> the limits of "synchronous design".

Me too :)  When things get difficult, or resources are low, then these
sorts of tricks can make all the difference, if well understood and
controlled (If not, then they can be a source of real problems).

> I disagree with your analysis of the need for close delay matching.
>
> Let's take the rising edge case with the OR gate. It only requires that
> the path from clock to Q and to the OR gate has a longer delay than the
> direct connection of the clock to OR gate. How much longer does not
> matter, until it approachess the clock High time.
> I think that's a reasonable assumption, especially since no designer
> would intentionally delay the clock signal that is to be gated.
> I had warned against using this trick for very high-frequency clocks.

I think we actually agree - I'm just being a bit more paranoid :)
Routing delay can add a variable amount of time (per synth run) - by
using appropriate constraints the operation can be guaranteed to either
fail PAR, or work, yes?  This would imply that this technique could
possibly be used for mid-to-high frequency clocks (if the technology is
fast enough), if appropriately constrained.

The designer may not intend for the clock to be delayed (irrelevant if
using BUFGs), but there are situations where the clock could be delayed,
if the problem is not well understood enough (local routing anyone?). I
think that when we hit the 'limits', what it actually means is that more
of the checking either falls strictly on the designer, or more care is
needed in order to tell the tools what checking they need to do.

Jeremy

Article: 80518
Subject: NIOS2 1.1 toolchain sources...
From: Jedi <me@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:49:57 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Has anybody the gcc/binutils sources delivered with the Linux
version of NIOS2 1.1?

I have a ticket open with Altera since February 4th and they are
just stuck with the compiler rebuild problem on UNIX hosts
when I use the toolchain sources from my NIOS2 Windows version.

Also never got any feedback why they removed the gcc/binutils sources
from their ftp with the "doc" user login mentioned once on their
website...

thanx in advance
rick

Article: 80519
Subject: Re: Genlock
From: "fpgavhdl@gmail.com" <fpgavhdl@gmail.com>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 13:52:56 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
By scoping the sync stripper (EL 4511) H sync seems to be jitter free.
This Hysnc is given to the PLL which generates a 27 Mhz clock that is
locked to the Hsync. This clock is fed into the FPGA which does the
Subcarrier locking. The 27 MHz coming into the FPGA is upscaled to 54
MHz..during the rising edge of this 54 MHz clock the subarrier is
locked to the reference input signal (composite video). Do u think this
helps the subcarrier lock to the 54Mhz clock? The PLL chip I am using
is a MK2069.
BTW whats the technique to measure the jitter. Also the 27 MHz clock
input to the FPGA is not a proper square wave...and as far i know this
could be reason for jitter aswell. What do u have to say on this? The
input analog video composite signal is converted into a 12-bit digital
before giving to the FPGA (for locking the subcarrier). The output from
the FPGA is given to the DAC which gives the analog black burst. Do u
think since both these DAC and ADCs,which are operated with clock (not
exactly square waves) will have anything to do with the jitter?

Thanx again...Really appreciate ur help

Article: 80520
From: Kevin Neilson <kevin_neilson@removethiscomcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:53:24 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
morpheus wrote:
> Hi,
> In a hierarchical synchronous design methodology for FPGAs, is it
> reqiured to register the outputs of all the modules in a hierarchy
> (starting from the bottom) right upto the top module, or, is it
> sufficient to register the outputs of the leaf hierarchical module (the
> bottom-most module)?
> Thanks
> MORPHEUS

The main motive behing making the IOs of a module registered is to make
the timing less dependent upon the internals of the module.  So if you
are making a module to interface with someone else's design, or you want
to be able to floorplan the module without worrying as much about the
routing delay between modules, then it's good to register the IOs.  It's
  not a requirement, though, and having nonregistered outputs doesn't
necessarily make the design asynchronous.

Article: 80521
From: Jason Zheng <xin.zheng@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:04:06 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Arash Salarian wrote:
> I think "generally" it is a bad idea for a designer to try to do the
> state-assignment by hand and would recommend using symbolic names for the
> states and let the synthesize tool do the "dirty" job. Why? First, this is a
> difficult job and for large state-machines can easily get tedious and
> potentially produce bugs. Also, what if you want to port your VHDL code from
> say, Altera to Xilinx or even ASIC? Optimal state assignment can be
> different on different architectures. However, the problem itself is very
> interesting and very IMPORTANT for the synthesize tool designers...

I agree that designing the state-transition should be a seperate task
from the state encoding, and that a good engineer shall focus on the the
former. However, a good design enigneer shall take in considerations of
the impacts of different encoding scheme (area, speed, resource use,
safety, etc) to his/her fsm design.

More synthesizers have automatic fsm exploration built-in, and defaults
to one or another encoding. It is the design engineer's responsibility
to know such settings (for example synplicity defaults to 1-hot),
otherwise you will have no idea what exactly you are designing.

I final suggestion is to design for portability and maintainability,
while being aware of the subtle differences among the synthesizers.

Article: 80522
From: "Paul Leventis" <paul.leventis@utoronto.ca>
Date: 7 Mar 2005 14:05:30 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Hi Austin,

As I previously indicated, the EP2S60 *ES* (Engineering Sample) does
exhibit a surge current.  This current does not exist in any other
shipping SII device including the EP2S15, EP2S30, EP2S90ES, EP2S130,
and EP2S180.  The production EP2S60 devices, shipping later this month,
also do not exhibit a surge.

The surge current issue was reflected in the Early Power Estimator 2.0.
 Since it was fixed, it was removed in EPE 2.1.  We just realized that
the errata sheet for the ES device is missing this spec; this will be
rectified shortly.

> The leakage follows the spreadsheet, that is there is a lot of
> Iccint(leak) at hot (about one ampere at 70C).  In fact, by
specifying
> the "turn-on" current required for hot, they are probably able to
ignore
> the 3 amperes at cold (eg -- if the start up current is equal to or
less
> than the surge, then they can be honest and claim there is no surge).

The production start-up current is less than the operating (static)
current across all temperatures.

Incidentally, our ES devices exhibit higher-than-typical static
currents.  I noticed in the screenshot of our chip in your power
seminar that you were measuring an ES device, a fact you decided not to
mention in the talk...

> Perhaps someone
> with a production device can confirm this is fixed?

Austin, we have measured a bunch of production devices across process
corners, voltages, temperatures, different ramp rates, different power
supply start-up conditions, and on different days of the week for good
measure.  There is no contention-based start-up current.

Please, question our marketing all you want.  But our specs are our
specs.  Do not accuse us of lying.

Paul Leventis

From: Jason Zheng <xin.zheng@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:07:46 -0800
> The basic structure of most FPGAs ( with an abundance of flip-flops)
> favors one-hot encoding.
> The alleged problem of many illegal states can easily be alleviated
> since it is so easy to detect all illegal states, whereas there are no
> illegal states in binary encoding. So, in one-hot you know at least
> that something went wrong...
That's the entirely true. Binary encoding also have illegal states if
the number of states is not power of 2. Furthermore, you don't always
know that something is wrong with 1-hot encoding, e.g. two bits get
flipped with one being the "hot" bit.

Having said that, I still agree with you that one-hot is very safe and fast.

Article: 80524
From: Mike Treseler <mike_treseler@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:34:09 -0800
> The basic structure of most FPGAs ( with an abundance of flip-flops)
> favors one-hot encoding.

You have to try it both ways on each design to be sure.
I have found that one-hot encoding usually improves
speed by about 3% but not always. It can be slower in some cases.
One-hot always costs something in device utilization.
However, I have never seen the choice of encoding
make or break the design fit or timing.

       -- Mike Treseler

Here's a recent benchmark:
begin              -- ___Relative Synthesis Performance virtex2
    template_standard; -- 180 MHz 50 FF   91 LUTS encoding=auto   OK
                       -- 194 MHz 47 FF   84 LUTS encoding=bin MIN LUTS
-- template_s_reset;  -- 222 MHz 50 FF  102 LUTS encoding=auto FAST
                       -- 181 MHz 47 FF   91 LUTS encoding=bin  SMALL

-- template_trick;    -- 239 MHz 49 FF   92 LUTS encoding=auto  FASTEST
                       -- 184 MHz 46 FF   86 LUTS encoding=bin MIN FLOPS