Subject: Re: FPGA power consumption
From: "Richard B. Katz" <stellere@erols.com>
Date: 14 Aug 1997 00:19:19 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
hi dave,

i have measured power consumption in a large number of fpga's, mostly
actels.  for most models, with no dc loads and static conditions and inputs
at cmos levels, the current is less than 1 mA.  for many models, the
current is less than 200 uA.  the original 2.0 um a1020's were about 3.2 mA
or so.  the amount of current is very repeatable and the level is a
function of the model device and feature size it was built at.  generally,
the current comes from the internal charge pump which provides bias.  note,
however, there is a intial current transient which exceeds this amount
significantly.  i don't know the altera 7k family but 70 mA (350 mW) is a
lot.

i have tested some quicklogic pasic1 devices and their current was in the
3-5 mA range, a bit long ago for me to remember exactly.  note that the
quicklogic devices use the amorphous silicon antifuses which tend to have
higher leakage currents than the ono actel antifuse, particularly at higher
temps, i beleive.

also, i have tested some chip express qyh580 laser programmable gate arrays
(lpga).  this ~70,000 gate model had a utilization of approximately 50%.
the static device current was essentially 0.

i have some altera 5192's on some boards.  i don't have exact current
measurements on those devices but it was noted to be, er, kind of warm to
the finger.

generally, for measuring current, i look at static current, current in the
clock distribution system, and current consumed by gates.

anyways,

i would disagree with your statement one about "high power consumption of
fpga" and think it most probably strongly depends on the fpga design.

hope this helps,

rk

______________________________________

David Bokaie <dbokaie@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<33F1DA46.2AF4@ix.netcom.com>...
> In our latest design we have notice that our Altera 7K FPGA is drawing
> roughly 100ma of current.  Stopping the clock to the chip only reduced
> the power consumption by 30%.  I was wondering if there is any study out
> there that
>
> 	1) explains the high power consumption of FPGA
> 	2) compare power consumption between different FPGA vendors
> 	   and different technology family.
>
> Please send/or copy your responses to davidb@proxim.com
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Article: 7201
>In our latest design we have notice that our Altera 7K FPGA is drawing
>roughly 100ma of current.  Stopping the clock to the chip only reduced
>the power consumption by 30%.  I was wondering if there is any study out
>there that
>
>	1) explains the high power consumption of FPGA
>	2) compare power consumption between different FPGA vendors
>	   and different technology family.
>
>Please send/or copy your responses to davidb@proxim.com
>
>Thanks,
>
>David

I agree with Richard, this definitely is a lot. The only case in which I
have seen *significant* amount of static current consumption is in the
case of a FPGA using NMOS transistors as routing switches, but even in
that case the static current keeps around 5 or 10 mA for 30000 gates
equivalent device.

It looks like that should be a design problem ;(

Take care,

Julio

Julio Faura
e-mail: faura@sidsa.es			tel:	34 1 803 50 52