Subject: Re: Silicore VHDL 8-bit RISC uC core for FPGA
From: "Austin Franklin" <dark6room@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 7 Aug 1998 15:11:07 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Eric Ryherd <"vauto@tiac.net"@tiac.net> wrote in article
<6q7ef1$av1@news-central.tiac.net>...

> However, I recommend using VAutomations V8-microRISC CPU

Er, Eric, are you at all affiliated with VAutomation in any way that you
would 'recommend' your...oops, their ;-) product over any other?

Article: 11376
Subject: Re: PCI Core In FPGA
From: Al Zimmerman <alz@RayCast.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 09:02:23 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Evan,

I'm sure you know what you talking about.  But I guarantee you that
graphics chip vendors are avoiding any & all ring3/ring0 transitions.
I've worked at enough.  All drivers written by the chip vendor are
memory mapped in chipset (BX, LX, Triton,....etc).  The OS is not even
involved in determining whether to transfer the info to main memory or
onto the PCI bus.  Alternatively, you could use the DDK from Microsoft
and have the OS determine whether to access the pci bus.

With all that said, the graphics chip will do most of the transferring
anyway by mastering the pci bus and reading the data from main memory.
The goal is to get the request command to the graphics chip ASAP.  The
fastest way to do this is to get the OS out of the way.

All the above applies to 3d graphics.  AS I think about it, you could
very well have the OS involved in 2d graphics.  Most applications will
not have speed issues with 2d graphics so the having the OS performing
virtual addressing onto the pci bus will not be a big deal.  In 3d, you
are moving vast amounts of data (polygons & textures) where any latency
will slow down the 3d rendering.

If you still disagree....I've not doubt you know what you are talking
about.  I really can't say anymore so I won't respond further on this.
Besides, we are getting out of the realm of this newsgroup.

All the Best !!

Al

ems wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:05:29 -0700, alz <alz@lanminds.com> wrote:
>
> >> i can't think of any specific ring 3/ring 0 transitions which have a
> >> significant (or any) impact on a user. however, there are issues
> >> related to scheduling information transfers between the driver and the
> >> user (at interrupt time, for example).
> >

> >For computer graphics the ring3/ring0 transition is significant.  Every
> >graphics chip company around avoids ring3/ring0 transitions in their
> >drivers.
>
> it doesn't matter what sort of chip or board you're putting on the
> bus. the vast majority of windows pci drivers will not require the use
> of signalling mechanisms, which would involve ring0/ring3 transitions,
> between the driver and the user.
>
> the only point in most drivers, after initialisation, at which a
> transition occurs, is when a hardware interrupt arrives (and the S3
> card in my test system doesn't even generate interrupts). your ring 0
> driver will receive control fairly quickly, and will then schedule
> some sort of information transfer to the user code. this will involve
> another transition, but this is part of the normal scheduling
> mechanisms and so isn't relevant. in short, ring0/ring3 transitions
> simply aren't relevent, whether or not you're using interrupts.
>
> what you're thinking about may be the issue of virtualising the PC
> display. there are circumstances in which the OS will create multiple
> virtual copies of physical display memory, and will then trap any
> accesses to this memory, so that display drivers can pretend that they
> have exclusive control over the display. this isn't an issue with pci
> drivers, and you still need the ddk, or an equivalent, to write your
> pci driver.
>
> evan
Article: 11377