Subject: Re: NIOS II Sim
From: "Jerry" <nospam@nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:43:10 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

news:<10iakepgo6i76bd@corp.supernews.com>...
> > I replaced my NIOS I with a NIOS II and did a simulation. Hummm it seems
> > to take a lot more CPU time with a NIOS II. Has anyone else experienced
> > this?
> >
> > ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH
> > Jer
>
> The wonderful thing about simulation is that it shows you what
> happens, in detail, in your system for debugging purposes. Things like
> processor cache initialization, SDRAM controller initialization, and
> other things required to a get a processor-based system from power-up
> to main() take a while.
>
> That said we offer two things which you might be interested in if you
> don't want to see every bit of detail:
> - "Simulation" software libraries & crt0 code for use only with RTL
> simulation (skips lengthy things like cache initlaization).
> - The instruction set simulator.
>
> Both of these are described in the Nios II SW Dev Handbook & AN333
> (Simulating Nios II processor systems).
>
> Jesse

Ok Jesse, come Monday I will look into these things you mention.

ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH
Jer

Article: 72501
Subject: Re: GAL,PAL,PLD, CPLD,FPGA
From: <many gates>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:18:52 +1000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Thank you all..
Leon's page about CPLD,FPGA etc on
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/pld_starter.html contains a good
summary about these units.

> > Dear Roland,
> >
> > Thank you for your clear and easy to understand summary.
> > >   The best way to learn about the digital designs is to use the partly
> > free
> > > tools and do a design by yourself.
> > Can you recomment a particular one to learn CPLD/FPGA and VHDL?
>
> I have a simple CPLD design on my webs site that may be used with the free
> Xilinx Webpack software.
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon Heller, G1HSM
> http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Article: 72502
From: <many gates>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:14:41 +1000
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Dear Mikeandmax

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your very valuable posting.
I've enjoyed reading it and learnt alot in few paragraphs.

Regards,

"Mikeandmax" <mikeandmax@aol.com> wrote in message
> manygates asked:
> >GAL,PAL,PLD, CPLD,FPGA, (what else...?)
> >
> >GAL : Generic Logic Array
> >PAL :  Programmable Array Logic
> >PLD : Programmable Logic Device
> >CPLD : Complex Programmable Logic Device
> >FPGA : Field Programmable Gate Array
> >
> >Can someone explain with comparison what is the difference between all
these
> >GAL,PAL,PLD, CPLD,FPGA, (what else...?)  logic units?
> >
> >Can all these units can be programmable with VHDL ?
>
> This could take awhile :)
>
> The most basic thing all of these have in common is the ability to create
> unique circuit configurations on a standard device, and with most, the
ability
> to erase these configurations, and create new ones.  If we had a time
machine
> to go back - way back, we would find only devices with fixed architecture
> elements, e.g. SSI devices(small scale integration) andgates(7408)
> nandgates(7400), or gates (7432) inverters (7404) and then a big jump to
MSI
> (medium scale integration) like 7474(d flipflop with set/reset) counters
(74161
> - 4bit counter) , and the industry continues into LSI, VLSI, ASICs,
> uprocessors, memories, etc....
>
> then this idea of PLD - programmable logic device
> by using fuses in an array, speicific configurations can be accomplished-
by
> connecting traces in the metal layers on a device, making the gates
connected
> to them form new circuits - unfortunately, fuses only work once :) -
testing by
> the manufacturer was limited - after all, how do we test a fuse?
>
> PAL programmable array logic
> early PALS were in preset configurations - where fuses could acitivate
some
> customization  - the pal16l2, the pal16r4, had and/or gate structures, or
> limited registers to certain points -
> somewhere along the way - UVerasable arrived, displacing one time
programmable
> fuses - with a nice quartz window, so you could flood the connections with
UV
> [...]
> could be built, then removed, although with 30-60minute erase times, it
was
> still limited -
>
> GALs - neat concept - all possible PAL configurations could be
> accomplished,e.g., 16v8 - Variable function, as the 'macrocell' for each
output
> pad had both combinatorial and registered capability, and even better,
these
> werre electrically erasable(EECMOS) and could easily be tested and erased
in
> milliseconds
>
> Along came FPGA and CPLD
>
> I know I am leaving out a bunch of detail - the various vendors do a
superb job
> of describing in detail in their literature -
>

> CPLD - Complex Programmable Logic Device
> early CPLD structures were closely related to the GAL/PAL idea, and
created an
> array of PALs ( think LAB, or GLB, or PALblock, or functionblock) in
various
> sizes and what not -
> CPLDs at their most basic are this A COMPLEX LOGIC BLOCK - with anywhere
from
> 36 to 68 inputs available per block, with a range of PTERMS(and gate) from
> 160, available to drive each macrocell - combinatorial or registered.
> Mostly NONVOLATILE devices(EECMOS) with some newer devices also
incorporating
> SRAM as part of the architecture, decent clock structures, high
performance for
> large, single logic level functions - think statemachines, decoders,
counters
> etc -
> Routing and interconnect is typically a single large central routing
array - so
> interconnecting logic has little penalty in routing - and within the LOGIC
> BLOCK - there is full interconnect for the various elements
>
> FPGA Field programmable Gate Array -
> FPGAs are devices which can achieve significantly larger logic gate
counts,
> with each logic element TYPICALLY being built with a 4input LUT(look up
table -
> which allows pretty much any combination of 4 inputs ) with a
combinatorial
> and/or registered output available per logic element - each vendor has
thier
> own 'tweek' on this with additinal logic for muxes, carrychainsfor
arithmetic/
> counting functions, etc -I'm sure others will jump in here) - nad since
the
> logic element is small, a lot more fit on a device!.  To interconnect
these
> logic cells requires significant routing, or interconnect, resources, to
build
> a larger function out of the many small functions.  Much magic is required
> here, by the silicon designers to balance resource requirements, and the
SW
> designers, to implement algorithms which efficiently connect the elements
> together.
> FPGAs generally offer additional elements, e.g. RAM BLOCKS, so that more
> complex system functions can be implemented within the single device.  As
> technology has moved forward, many different elements have found their way
into
> FPGA - processors, SERDES, DSPBLOCKS etc.
>
> MOSTLY based on SRAM processes, they offer rapid reconfigurability as
well,
> with the burden of storage somewhere in the system for the datastreams
required
> to configure the device.  There are Vendors with NONVOLATILE FPGAs as
well,
> running form FUSE BASED(one time programmable) to Flash and eecmos based
> devices which incorporate flash and eecmos memory to carry the datastream
for
> configuration on chip.
>
> I hope this was a good start - Peter, Paul, Austin, Jim, Rick, Ray, Uwe,
any
> others out there want to expand on these points?
>
> Mike Thomas
> Lattice SFAE NY/NJ

Article: 72503