Subject: Re: EU patent debate, any effects on FPGA-design?
From: "Antti Karttunen (remove .fo from the address)" <Antti.Karttunen@iki.fi.fo>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:01:47 +0200
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Kolja Sulimma wrote:

> Xilinx also has an patent on implementing an 8-input AND in a single
> CLB. Hopefully your Microblaze clone does not use this feature, they
> could use that patent to come after you. (Peter Alfke stated in this
> newgroup that they wouldn't)

I guess here you mixed me with Antti Lukats. However, I
come from the other side of the gulf, and I'm just beginning
to learn the secrets of EE.

>> I.e. is a Verilog or VHDL-source file just
>> "a description for hardware device"
>> or is it yet another (strange) form of software?
>
> The VHDL source is not patentable. It is covered by copyright. That is
> something entirely different and completely unrelated.

Yes, of course. However, what I was striving after here
was that what happens if the public (and EPO) opinion
at some point comes to view the writing of Verilog/VHDL-modules
as a creation of SOFTWARE (for these "massively parallel
reconfigurable processing chips", i.e. FPGAs),
instead of viewing it as a description of HARDWARE?
This view might come more prevalent if the FPGA's
will be getting more and ASIC's less common,
and if the data processing/computing applications
will prevail over more traditional EE-fields.

For an example, see also John Jakson's view here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.transputer/browse_thread/thread/73ab172632c442f0/ec98764623671324#ec98764623671324
  "I am pushing the idea that FPGAs are in fact
   Transputer cousins at a much finer level of granularity ..."

Yours,

Antti Karttunen

Article: 77326
Antti Karttunen (remove .fo from the address) wrote:

(snip, someone wrote)

>>> I.e. is a Verilog or VHDL-source file just
>>> "a description for hardware device"
>>> or is it yet another (strange) form of software?

>> The VHDL source is not patentable. It is covered by copyright. That is
>> something entirely different and completely unrelated.

> Yes, of course. However, what I was striving after here
> was that what happens if the public (and EPO) opinion
> at some point comes to view the writing of Verilog/VHDL-modules
> as a creation of SOFTWARE (for these "massively parallel
> reconfigurable processing chips", i.e. FPGAs),
> instead of viewing it as a description of HARDWARE?

If you can argue that there is a continuum between hardware
(wired up TTL chips), through ASICs to FPGAs to compiled
C code in RAM, then you would have to say that software
can be patentable.   Where is the line between what is
patentable and what isn't?

If I remember the story from the IBM S/370 and virtual storage,
it was that the algorithm (logical structure of virtual
memory) wasn't patentable, but the hardware implementing it was.
Now, most, if not all, S/370 were microcoded, so wouldn't
that be software?   The distinction is not easy at all.

-- glen

-- glen

Article: 77327