Subject: Re: S3e slower than S3
From: "Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)" <steve.knapp@xilinx.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2006 17:34:02 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Antti Lukats wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wonder if anyone (Xilinx?) has actual information on Spartan3e fabric
> speeds?

Over a broad range of applications,  a Spartan-3E FPGA is _in general_
the same performance or mildly faster than a Spartan-3 FPGA using the
slowest speed grade for both.  These tests were done using worst-case
speed file numbers, which are more pessimistic than actual silicon.

Hopefully, this shouldn't be too surprising as Spartan-3 and Spartan-3E
FPGA are built on the same 90 nm process technology using the same
manufacturing facility.

> I have done some actual measurements and as far of the results the
> LUT propagation delay seems to be about 10% bigger than in S3?

I would expect some variation comparing actual silicon on two different
devices.  The data sheet tells you the slowest silicon we're allowed to
ship, but the actual device likely is faster, especially at room
temperature and nominal voltage.

That said, if you compare the Tilo specification for the Spartan-3 and
Spartan-3E families in their respective data sheets, you will see about
150 ps of delay difference.

Spartan-3:  Tilo on a -4 device = 0.61 ns
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds099.pdf [Page 79]

Spartan-3E:  Tilo on a -4 device = 0.76 ns
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/publications/ds312.pdf [Page 133]

I wouldn't focus on a specific parameter per se, as your path delay
will include other timing parameters as well.  For example, Spartan-3E
generally has faster flip-flop clock-to-output delays and faster
interconnect.  In the wash, Spartan-3E _generally_ is at or about the
same performance.
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/-3E FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3e
The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation:  The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.

Article: 94801