Subject: Re: OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot
From: Richard Owlett <rowlett@atlascomm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:41:19 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
David R Brooks wrote:

> Richard Owlett wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> I remember a sophomore EE lab requiring us to design a 1 transistor
>> amp. MANY of my classmates were going to supply tech requesting better
>> than 1% tolerance on bias resistors. Had reason to suspect they had
>> similar problems later.
>

> I had a corresponding experience in my first job (some 35 years ago).
> Newly qualified, I was asked to design a simple Colpitts oscillator: 1
> transistor, around 2MHz. I fished out my slide-rule, & prepared for a
> heavy afternoon's maths.
> My mentor stepped in, & said (in effect) "I know that's how they teach
> you in Uni, but it's not how we do it in the real world". His design
> logic went:
> 1. Supply voltage = 9V (that's what we've got available)
> 2. Transistor = BC109 (the stores are knee-deep in them)
> 3. Ic = 5mA (known by experience to work well)
> 4. Bias chain current = Ic/10 (ditto)
> 5. Vb = Vcc/3 (ditto)
> Now solve out the resistors, & give me a parts list.
>
> He signed the list, I took it to the stores & got the bits, & 20 minutes
> later, the oscillator was running.
>
> Theory vs Practice.
>
> "Theory: when you understand all about it, but can't make it work."
> "Practice: when it works, but no-one knows why."
> - Seen in a German office, 1974 (translation mine)

Now you've got me going on reminisces ;}
A later class required design of horizontal sweep for an oscilloscope.
I was lazy and asked myself what portion of exponential met linearity
spec. Lab instructor came by to view my test data. He said "Oh you chose
a Miller run up." I said "NO. Just an RC". That semester was fun. My
father was a practicing EE even though is degree was ME. [Back in 20's
an EE meant 60 cps power but an ME got more background in what we now
consider to be EE. If he were still alive, he would enjoy this discussion.]

Article: 95126