Subject: Re: Proprietary Configuration Data
From: ard@siva.bris.ac.uk (PDP11 Hacker .....)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 1994 21:41:00 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <776540488snz@rhizik.demon.co.uk>, john@rhizik.demon.co.uk writes...

>On the same grounds that CPLD/FPGA manufacturers should
>keep configuration information hidden, Microprocessor
>manufacturers should presumably also hide details of the
>architectures and instruction sets of their chips,
>and build chips with encrypted instruction streams

And while we're about it, we'd better not publish the character code - it would
encourage the use of unreliable, non-standard printers. We'd better not publish
the OS routines, either. It would encourage non-approved software...

[In other words, I agree 100%]

>[Dallas actually make an 8051 clone that does this].

Ah, but doesn't that chip let _you, the user_ program the encryption key? I
have no problem with that.

>Clearly a processor with a documented, unencrypted
>instruction stream permits reverse engineering of programs
>written for that processor.  What's the problem ? The program
>is still copyright.  And anyway how many of these chips really
>doing something so clever that having a good look at the system-
>level design won't give away what the chip is doing ?

Virtually none :-). Techniques to stop reverse engineering tend to fail when
put against a group of pirates armed with test equipment, electon microscopes,
and chip fab equipement....

Given that you could, I guess, even work out how the _chip_ worked, and thus
how the bitstream was interpreted.

[More good points that I agree with deleted]

How about some manufacturer making 2 lines of devices. One encrypted. The other
not. The 'professionals' can try and hide their design. We can make our
reconfigurable circuits.

>I'm sure the manufacturers are perfectly happy to supply the formats
>of their configuration data to anyone who will sign an NDA and
>promise them a lot of revenue.

And what's to sat they're not the priates hoping to rip off my new design.
After all, that wouldn't break an NDA - they haven't disclosed the information,
just used it.

>[Stir, Stir, Stir]
>--
>John Vickers

-tony

Bristol University takes no responsibility for the views expressed in this
posting. They are the personal views of the user concerned.

Article: 76