Subject: Self-Programming Devices (was Re: Proprietary Configuration Data)
From: kremser@rbg.informatik.th-darmstadt.de (steffen kremser)
Date: 18 Aug 1994 08:48:02 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Satwant Singh (satwant@regulus) wrote:
: Brad Hutchings (hutch@timp.ee.byu.edu) wrote:

: : partial configuration; however, that is not the same thing as
: : "self-modifying" hardware. That would require an internally addressable
: : configuration store. The configuration store of the Atmel device can
: : only be addressed *externally*. Thus all configuration data must come
: : from a source external to the FPGA.

: One may have to wire (on PCB) certain programming pins of
: the FPGA to certain other user pins. In this way, data
: generated inside the FPGA can be fed back to the configuration
: control, which still sees it as data coming from external
: source.

This assumes the FPGA can be reprogrammed while it is "running".
AFAIK, programming usually involves switching the *complete* device
into a programming (Reset, JTag, whatever) mode, which is mutually
exclusive to "normal operation".

So, you'd need an external device that can
- put the FPGA in prog-mode
- download the new configuration
- restart the FPGA

This device could be
- another FPGA, (see **)
- simple RAM/ROM based Sequencer,
- a uC-system running the "adaptive" algorithm

All of these alternatives need some externally accessible
Storage (RAM/ROM) to hold (the initial/template) design.

In Effect, we'd be building a "Meta-FPGA" that has the same
features Brad (hutch@timp.ee.byu.edu) mentioned in his post:
- "partial configuration"
- "internally adressable" configuration storage

(**) A more theoretical Question WRT FPGA-configures-FPGA:

NOTE: the following "#Bit"-Reasoning is by rule of thumb and
      purely speculative.

Imagine our FPGA defined by #N Bits of Configuration.

This "Capacity" is divided into
#F Bits defining the "Functional Aspect"
#M bits defining the "Meta-Aspect" (Adaptation & Reprogram)
#U Bits unused (assuming you can define "inert" config)

"M"'s immediate job is providing a "new" version of "F",
but a (complete) reprogramming would also require a copy of "M".

I can't quite see a Statemachine producing a #F+#M(+#U) Bitstream
realized in #M Bits. (ignoring #U >> #F+#M, trivial but useless)

That is, without at least "read" (self-referential) access to the
current configuration. (Meta-FPGA again...)

Am I wrong? (Would "M" be considered a "FPGA Virus" ? ;-)

CU on the Bitstream,
			Steffen Kremser
--
 ////   | kremser@igd.fhg.de      | Rorschach: None of You understand!  |