Subject: Re: about downloading FPGAs
From: fliptron@netcom.com (Philip Freidin)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 21:45:33 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <395u4p$84t@news.csie.nctu.edu.tw> yau@theda18 (Ching-Yau Jong) writes:
>I am now writing a assembly program to configure a FPGA
>through AT-bus. But I don't know what the actual configuration
>bitstreams are. The .bit file seems to have some unnecessities
>just like "3020PC6894/10/3120:49:43demo3020.lca:".
>Should I delete it or keep it?
>Please help me. Thanks.

The .bit files are not documented, so knowing where the file header ends
and the bitstream header starts is somewhat of a problem. Re-run the
makebits program with the -b flag set. this generates a .rbt file which
you can edit, and which is reasonably easy to be transformeded into a
format that your download program can use. Another option is to pass
the .bit file through makeprom, which will conver it to a .EXO or .TEK
or other format, which may be easier to use.

There is a neat program on the Xilinx BBS called makesrc which uses a
descriptor file to convert bitstream to source code for any language.
i.e. it can create 'C' source code (an array initialization) or ASM86
source code (loads of .db instructions). then process the file with
the rest of your program.

All the best,