Subject: Xilinx / NeoCad utilities
From: dh@fncrd7.fnal.gov (don husby)
Date: 22 Feb 1995 19:54:10 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
By popular demand (2 people),  I am releasing a new version of my
xilinx utilities.  I have placed them at an anonymous FTP site:

   esesrv0.fnal.gov  /pub/xilinx/awks.zip

The most useful tool is the XFUNC utility which allows you to place
PAL-like logic equations and ROM tables directly on a Viewlogic
schematic.  This has been updated to work directly on .wir files so it
can work with NeoCad software and Xilinx software, and, presumably, can
be used with ViewSim.  See the more detailed description below.

Other tools include:

xdis	Disassmble X4000 LCA files into logic equations
pinout	Print X3000 or X4000 Pin Grid Array diagram and pinlist
global	Fix XNF files to allow global signals and buses
fanout	Print list of signal dependancies
blk	Print map of X4000 CLB outputs
long	Print map of X4000 Long line usage

Send me Email if you use these utilities and want to be kept informed
of bugs and updates.

=========       XFUNC.MAN  Help file    ==================================

xfunc.awk (xfunc.exe):
  Add extended functions to workview schematic files.

  This allows you to add function generators (FUNCS), ROMs, and map
attributes to a workview schematic.  These can be added either as
schematic symbols or as unattached attributes.  The XFUNC program works by
post-processing .wir files and converting FUNC, ROM, and MAP attributes
into symbols that are recognized by WIR2XNF (or other WIR processors).
Xfunc should be run after a schematic change and before WIR2XNF or XMAKE.
It can be added to an XMAKE makefile.

Usage:
  Xfunc [-d <wir>] <files> [-all]

  <files>   A list of files to be processed.  Wildcards can be used. If
            no file type is specified, then .1 is used.
  -all      Process all .wir files in the directory.
  -d <wir>  Specify a directory to find .wir files.  Default is .\wir.

Examples:
  Xfunc tester.*                ! Do all sheets of .\wir\tester
  Xfunc -all	                ! Do all files in .\wir
  Xfunc -d \wv\usrlib\wir -all  ! Do all files in usrlib

FUNCs:  UFUNC, FFUNC, HFUNC
  FUNCs are Workview schematic symbols or attibutes that allow
functionality to specified in terms of equations rather than gates. The
FFUNC and HFUNC parts are similar to the X4000 FMAP and HMAP parts: they
specify the contents of a single CLB function generator. The UFUNC is an
unconstrained function generator that can be used in X4000 or X3000
schematics.  When used as an attribute, it takes the form:

UFUNC <name>=<equation>
or

<name>     is an output signal name and must be a valid viewdraw net name.
<equation> is a logic equation that uses other viewdraw nets.

The second form allows a flip-flop to be added to the output.  The <clk>,
<cke>, and <clr> fields are names of nets to be connected to the flip-flop
control signals.  If <cke> or <clr> are left blank, they are un-connected.
If <clk> is left blank, it defaults to the name "CLK".

Examples:
UFUNC PARITY=DB0@DB1@DB2@DB3           ! generate 4 bits of XOR parity
UFUNC STATE4(CLK,,RESET)=STATE3*DRDY   ! a flip-flop output
UFUNC STATE5()=STATE4*MRDY             ! also a FF output with default CLK.
FFUNC ACK=STATE4*/STATE5               ! Ouput mapped with X4000 FMAP.

SYMBOL VERSION:
When used as a schematic symbol, a FUNC looks like this:
                           _
   			F= _|--     Basic symbol.
                           _
       F=EN*(SEL*A+/SEL*B) _|--     Symbol with function specified

  The part has only one pin - the output pin.  Input signals are implied
in the equation and are attached automatically to existing nets with the
same names.  The function text is specified as an attribute.  It is
entered by selecting the part and executing the Workview CA command. The
text must not contain any spaces.  A flip-flop can be added by attaching
a clock attribute (K=), enable attribute (CE=), or clear attribute (RD=).
  The FUNC symbol has one advantage over the FUNC attribute:  it can accept
other attributes.  In particular, it can take a label, BLKNAME, or LOC
attribute.

OPERATORS:
  FUNCs can use the following operators in order of increasing precedence:

     a?b:c   select  (translates to  a*b+/a*c)
     a+b     or
     a@b     xor
     a*b     and
     /a      invert
     ()      grouping.

ROMS:
  A ROM allows functionality to be specified in terms of vectors.  It's
similar to the standard xilinx ROM parts, except that it works on X3000 as
well as X4000, and the inputs are not constrained by function generators.
As with FUNCs, a ROM can be specified as an attribute or a symbol.

As an attribute, the ROM takes the form:

<output> is the output net name.
<inputs> is a list of inputs (address bits) separated by commas.
         The list can be a bus of the form A[n:m].  The inputs are
         specified from most-significant to least-significant.
<vector> is a hex number that specifies the bit pattern for the rom.
         The most significant digit maps to higher addresses as per the
         Xilinx ROM part.

As a symbol, the ROM is a 2-pin device.  The output pin is a single net.
The input pin is a bus.  The vector is specified as an attribute (F=).
The symbol must have a name that starts with the letters GROM.

Examples:
GROM THREE,I[2:0]=08                ! THREE=/I2*I1*I0
GROM SEG0,B3,B2,B1,B0=c7ed          ! Top segment on 7-seg display.

MAPs:
  MAPs are the same as xilinx standard FMAP,HMAP,and CLBMAPs, except that
they can be specified as unattached attributes.  They take the form:

FMAP <output>=<in1>,<in2>,<in3>,<in4>,<Attr>=<value>...
HMAP <output>=<in1>,<in2>,<in3>,<Attr>=<value>...
CLBMAP x,y=a,b,c,d,e,f,k,ec,rd,di,<Attr>=<value>...

NOTES:
1) This is compatible with earlier versions of FUNC that were implemented
as XNF-file processors.  FUNCs can now be included in any level of the
heirarchy without requiring them to be viewdraw "Modules".  Nets no longer
have to be explicitly drawn - they can exist only as names in a function.

2) The FFUNC part allows a maximum of 4 unique signal names in the
function.  If there are more, FUNC.AWK will print a warning message, but
will not declare a fatal error.  HFUNC allows a maximum of three unique
names.  Usually, two of the inputs to an HFUNC should be from FFUNCs.

4) Reliablility:  I have used earlier versions of FFUNC and HFUNC
extensively in several X3000 and X4000 designs.  I have ported one of the
X3000 designs to this new version.  Basic functionality has been tested
with small test designs.

5) Future plans:  I plan to add an optimizer to the GROM parts and extend
the vector format to include "don't care" and binary vectors.

FILES:
 xfunc.awk	Awk source code.
 xfunc.exe	Executable

 xfunc3k.inc	Include files.  Copy 3k or 4k version to the design
 xfunc4k.inc    directory depending on which part you are using.
 xfuncneo.inc

 xfunc.man	This help file
 .\wir\*.1i	Temporory file used to process wir file.

Article: 751